Sign in to follow this  
mikeny3

Coyote vs LS

I have a 1972 Vette with an LS 480hp from GM performance and 5 speed in it. Very fast, very reliable and good MPGs. I just bought a 1970 Fastback for my 16 YO son and we are starting to plan the project. He wants the same motor that is in my vette (GM) but Im trying to steer him towards staying ford and going with the 2011 5.0. He has done his research and knows there is no clearance in the engine bay for that the 5.0 and that the LS will fit. $8000 for a reliable 400hp motor is hard to argue with.... Are there any crate type EFI motors we are not thinking of?

It'll fit. Research what it takes to put in the new 5.0 or any mod motor for that matter. The issue is the shock towers but there are aftermarket solutions available. There are also many different ford engine combinations that will produce the results he is looking for. Search the different mustang forums and you'll find sufficient examples of mustangs with comparable performance. Also explain the performance of the LS in the mustang will be much different and less than in your vette. If he's still set on the LS, sell the mustang and buy him a camaro.

Being the guy with the money I will have final say in what goes into the mustang and I agree it should be ford. Im just trying to come up with an alternative that HE will choose so I don't have to tell him what to do. I know the modulars will fit if I install a TCI or equivalent front suspension system but Im worried about structural integrity with the removal of the shock towers. ive researched the forum. They look and sound great but no one comments on the integrity of the packaging. With 400+ HP and a manual, there will be a lot of chassis stress. Chassis connectors, Seat pan, Heavy rockers and more.

Have you considered any of the other small block Ford engines? The 347 with 450hp is a very solid motor and putting a 5-6 speed behind it and tuned properly with either EFI or Carb would be very reliable and get decent MPG as well. Plus that would drop right in and no issues with the structure of the vehicle. There are even larger 351 based motors (with more power) that would drop in just as easily as well.

Regarding the structural integrity, it should not be an issue, if done properly it would probably be even stronger. If you get the Speed Channel Stacey David just started doing this type of conversion to a 68' Cougar on Gearz which is basically the same as the Mustang and you could figure out a lot by checking on that build. You may even be able to find the episodes online. He started it a few months ago and has already done the engine bay and subframe but they always repeat the episodes so you should be able to track it down one way or another.

Have you considered any of the other small block Ford engines? The 347 with 450hp is a very solid motor and putting a 5-6 speed behind it and tuned properly with either EFI or Carb would be very reliable and get decent MPG as well. Plus that would drop right in and no issues with the structure of the vehicle. There are even larger 351 based motors (with more power) that would drop in just as easily as well.

+1! Go with an EFI small block ford that is a stroker, whether it be a 302 based 347 or a 351w based 408W. If 302 based, it would be the same as a 5.0L swap if you use the OEM type intake and such.

If you get a 351W Dart block you can safely make a 427 out of it and depending on what cam, heads and intake it will put out 500hp and still be quite driveable. No addidional fuel lines, no additional bundle of wires and less complicated to operate.

Just my $.02

All are valid points. The show has the TCI parts installed but never gives a detailed evaluation of performance. Ford performance does sell a 427 that has over 500HP but not sure how streetable it is. This will be his transportation as well as his drag car so Im not sure of that much power without major structural mods.

Cruzzar is right. I have a Dart 351 based engine in my 69, getting 600+ hp. It was built as a street motor, has good idle, etc. and is quite well behaved (except in the mileage category). It can be done, but may not be as inexpensive as some other options. Now as for a 16 year old with 500 hp at his disposal...

Now as for a 16 year old with 500 hp at his disposal...

Yeah my first car was a 70 fastback with a fairly stock 302 and I couldn't keep tires on the thing. I couldn't imagine having twice that power and just learning to drive :biggrin:

Yes.....500-600 hp is way too much for a 16yo and that is why the new 5.0 interests me. 412hp to start,streetable and good milage. As time goes by we can increase power and bring it up to those higher levels. I kind of skipped one step putting the LS480 right into my 72 vette and cant see it handling much more than that. I also posted on an LS forum and there are a few guys with LS power in their mustangs and love them. Their advice is put the LS in and just dont open the hood around Ford guys.

Wait, let me get this straight... you're gonna build a '70 Mustang with an $8k 400+hp motor and a manual transmission, FOR A 16 YEAR OLD?!?!?!!! :thumbdown:

Now as for a 16 year old with 500 hp at his disposal...

Exactly!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but unless your 16 year old has been racing since he was 5 or 6 (go carts, jr. dragster, shifter karts, BMX, motocross, whatever), then I'd be seriously dubious of giving any 16 year old access to a car like that, even with an parent or adult in the passenger seat. 400+hp can make things go very wrong very very quickly.

BTW, a supercharged or built stroker EFI small block would make plenty of reliable power.

Double BTW, I can't imagine what the insurance would cost for a 16 year old with a car like that. Scary.

Somehow I get visions of this:

or worse:

Factory power plants and performance are plenty for a 16 year old. He can modify or upgrade at a later date after he has more experience behind the wheel. I'm just not saying that as I currently have a 16 yo daughter and have already gone through another daughter (who rear ended my 79 mustang in the driveway with the T-bird) and a son, both now in their 20s. My son now has a nice nissan 350Z.

Edited by RacerX

who are these people putting LS motors in mustangs? I would be shocked if it's a classic. i've read of a couple of people doing it with the 80's and 90's mustangs.

Good luck to you when you decide to sell a 69 mustang with an LS motor. I can only imagine what the market for a car like that is.

My original post was asking for a crate ford EFI alternative to the coyote that would fit into the 70 fastback. My son likes the LS and I am asking for a valid argument, not opinions, to sway my sons decision. It is his car and Id like him to have as much input as possible so in the end it is his creation. 400hp Ford,EFI, fits between the towers and comes in a crate for around 8-10 K. My sons can shoot guns, tie knots ,climb mountains, navigate, take the boat out alone to fish. I dont need help raising my kids...thats a different forum. I am a GM guy looking for help from Ford guys, thats all.

I think the issues should be two seperate ones, if he wants to put an LS motor in his Mustang that's his business, none of us have to like it as a prerequisite to do so, he isn't asking for our blessing or permission. No Ford guy likes to see a Chevy in a 30's Ford but it is more common than not these days and probably will be the same for Muscle cars one day, ideas and things change, that's just the way it is. A Concours guy doesn't like the PT and modded cars some of you build anymore than you like this idea, is it really worse to build a complete non correct car around a Ford motor than to leave a mostly correct car in tact around Chevy one?

As for how much power should be in the hands of a 16 yr old, none of us would like to see something bad happen and we all know too well how easy it is but again, that's not our call or judgement to make, just because young kids in general tend to be immature doesn't mean this kid is and even if he is a seasoned driver doesn't make it any better an idea to those who disagree.

Bottom line, if you have a 2 bit opinion that isn't helpful to the request and intent of a post from a new member than keep it to yourself, please. Move on to another thread by all means or check your parenting or purist advice at the door in this one.

As for me, I prefer to see something like this but hey to each his own.

http://www.hotrodhomepage.com/hrhp/2005/12/24/ford-powered-camaro/

I am asking for a valid argument, not opinions, to sway my sons decision.

is it not a valid argument that the market for a 69/70 mustang with a GM motor is considerably smaller than that of a mustang with a ford engine of any year? thus potentially making it very difficult to sell? and someone saying they wouldn't put a chevy motor in a mustang an example of that argument?

Bottom line, if you have a 2 bit opinion that isn't helpful to the request and intent of a post from a new member than keep it to yourself, please.

As for me, I prefer to see something like this but hey to each his own.

http://www.hotrodhomepage.com/hrhp/2005/12/24/ford-powered-camaro/

good job on obeying your own statement!

good job on obeying your own statement!

That's my job as Admin, to make sure things stay on track before they go too far, but you're so smart that I know I don't have to remind you of that, right?

There's a big difference between a tongue in cheek joke to try and lighten things up and tearing a guy a new one.

Is there a full moon, why is everyone suddenly looking for trouble on what is supposed to be the friendliest car forum on the net? I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinions, I'm asking nicely (for now) that we make sure things stay civil and on topic, that's all.

If anyone else want's to try and push my buttons though by all means take it to PM or else and hopefully I don't need to expalin what or else means.