chillininnh

kick panels w/teardrop speaker pods

FYI, if any of you plan on using these kick panels you should know that they won't hold a 5 1/4" speaker without the speaker grill hanging over the pod and looking rather stupid. The mounting pod is 5 1/4" top to bottom however, this size speaker has a grill that is always larger, overhanging the grill over the pod which I just couldn't live with. Do yourself a favor and purchase a 4" speaker no deeper than 2", it will fit perfect and look and sound great!

FYI, if any of you plan on using these kick panels you should know that they won't hold a 5 1/4" speaker without the speaker grill hanging over the pod and looking rather stupid. The mounting pod is 5 1/4" top to bottom however, this size speaker has a grill that is always larger, overhanging the grill over the pod which I just couldn't live with. Do yourself a favor and purchase a 4" speaker no deeper than 2", it will fit perfect and look and sound great!

Are you talking about these? I've been thinking about them. Any pictures you have would be great.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/kick-panel-with-2-way-160-watt-speaker-pair-coupe%2ffastback-1969-1970/p/SPK43/

Those are the ones, they are all from the same manufacturer I believe (MP Products). Notice the disclaimer in the ad about the grill overhang, my opinion is that the overhang is more than just slight. The speakers that come with the kickpanels from CJ are Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4". When I was ready to buy they didn't have any so I got mine from NPD WITHOUT speakers and bought the speakers seperate. I ended up returning the Rockfords and bought these, they have a low profile grill and fit perfectly.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=499

Are you talking about these? I've been thinking about them. Any pictures you have would be great.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/kick-panel-with-2-way-160-watt-speaker-pair-coupe%2ffastback-1969-1970/p/SPK43/

Those are the ones, they are all from the same manufacturer I believe (MP Products). Notice the disclaimer in the ad about the grill overhang, my opinion is that the overhang is more than just slight. The speakers that come with the kickpanels from CJ are Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4". When I was ready to buy they didn't have any so I got mine from NPD WITHOUT speakers and bought the speakers seperate. I ended up returning the Rockfords and bought these, they have a low profile grill and fit perfectly.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=499

Ummm looks like your speakers are sitting on top of the grills :-/ wth....?

From their picture it appears as ho the tear drop shape is the grill and thte speaker mounts inside behind that......hut you set up appears to expose the speaker.....what gives?

Nice shifter bezel tho

Mike

Ummm looks like your speakers are sitting on top of the grills :-/ wth....?

From their picture it appears as ho the tear drop shape is the grill and thte speaker mounts inside behind that......hut you set up appears to expose the speaker.....what gives?

Nice shifter bezel tho

Mike

You been drinking Mike? lol.....jk. Dunno what to say, they are crappy cell phone pics but I see no other way to mount'm. The speakers are not exposed,the second pic shows the grill the best. The grill is throwing you off a bit I think, you can get a good look at the speakers in the link I posted earlier. :-)

Edited by chillininnh

You been drinking Mike? lol.....jk. Dunno what to say, they are crappy cell phone pics but I see no other way to mount'm. The speakers are not exposed,the second pic shows the grill the best. The grill is throwing you off a bit I think, you can get a good look at the speakers in the link I posted earlier. :-)

Edited by chillininnh

I guess I'm confused, it looks to me like the JL Audio speakers fit those pods nicely. The grills don't overhang the pod at all. :confused1:

That pod does stick out dangerously close to the E-brake. It looks like you'd have to use just your toes with foot extended to press the brake down. I'm curious why you didn't go with door speakers? Seems like less hassle, although 4x6 is about the max you can fit due to depth restrictions.

I'm trying to keep all my mods reversible, cutting holes in the doors was a no for me. I know it was a factory option, just couldn't bring myself to cut'm. I will have to be careful engaging the e-brake but there is room to do so. These are a viable front speaker option IMO, even for a manual shift car.