Sign in to follow this  
jerr_man

My 70 Convertible

I have been on this site almost everyday. The work I see being done on here is way above the quality that i have done.

Bought this car in 2008. A barn find I should have left in the barn...lol

yes my work is less than stellar and this is the first time I have ever attempted this kind of project, have also not welded since highschool which is now 21 years ago.

The car is currently at a bodyshop having all the panels aligned and then start prepping for paint. The platform of the car is square and within a couple millimeters (body guy was surprised i was able to get it that close after all that i replaced) I am hoping to have it back by the spring. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae126/jerr_man/

Looking good. I love watching a car being brought back from the dead like that. My car was in about as bad as shape as your's when I got it. I'd never done any kind of body or steel work to a car before. So I was scared as hell when I tore my car down to this,

January 2009

IMG_5507_detail.JPG

So I understand how feel with it being your first project. It was such an awesome feeling the first time I drove it after getting it back on the road. I still have my rear quarters to replace although.

Edited by maxum96

thank 69 Raven,

ended selling that motor to a local guy restoring an earlier mustang. i ended up with a 302 that was built for a guy who after taking it own realized he needed to sell it to pay his mortgage. felt bad but.... 340 horse 347 torque Ford Racing "Y' almunium heads, eldebrock street torquer and a 650 Demon

Love your car Maxum96, been following your thread.

I too cant wait to drive me car more than 50 feet. My neighbors were none too impressed when i fired it up at 7:30am to drive onto the trailer...lol

jerr_ man:

You've done great work on that car man...look what you started with!

You and i emailed each other quite some time ago and matter of fact i was just wondering how you were progressing on your convert.

I'm full time into the restoration of that 70 convert and just like you, am uncovering more and more rust.

Just ordered the rear torque boxes from the Mustang Shop in Calgary. They've been super to deal with.

I note you used the same inner rockers as i have for this one.

Did you cap the fronts off and weld a tab on them to mate up to the torque box as they don't come with that tab?

I see you used that formed patch for the front portion of the outer rocker.

I wasn't sure if that would fit the 69/70 as it shows 67-68 in the parts catalog.

I'm going to have to replace one of the fenders on this one...did you use Goodmark fenders or Dynacorn? How was the fit and finish?

Keep posting some final pics....and good luck!

Regards......John

hey fellow Canadians, hi John the outer rocker panel is exactly the same on the 69/70. the inner rocker was an interesting deal. it was actually 4 inches too long which allowed me to cut and bend back the end piece for the torque box to weld to. All my sheet metal i got is from Scott Drake through a fellow Terry Deacon in Prince George who restores Mustangs> better prices and a great guy. The Mustang shop in Calgary is great as well and they are very helpful. I have been getting the smaller stuff there. fit and finish on the front fenders is not bad, the quarters have an extra body line as they are using the same stamping for the 69 i was told they put filler plates in to fill the clamshell to make the 70. rear marker lights are for a 69 so I have the bodyshop cutting them to fit a 70 light.

Flight 96, I looked at your build over and over and could swear i was looking at my own car....lol great work you were definatley an inspiration for me to keep going. I moved to Kelowna last August got tired of those Calgary winters, my car is in a shop there and I will be trailering it out once its painted.

That's interesting on the inner torque box. The 67-68 is 75" in length and the 69-73 is 77" in length.

I won't be able to cut this one down. I made the outer short piece at the front on my brake and with a hammer/dolly. I was pleased with the results.

This 70 i'm doing for a friend. Car was originally that 'Freudian' gold colour with a tan interior.

He liked the Acapulco blue on my fastback so much he's decided to go with it on this 70 along with a white top and white interior as most of it has to be replaced anyways.

Yes, Sure nice to see the Canadian content as far as mustangs go.

John

Yes, i posted the link to the progress under "another 70 convert restoration"

I'll post up to date pics as i go as i can only put 5 on with each entry.

I just cut out that area of the framerail next to the torque box where the front floor support fits over it.

Should be welding it before this weekend.

I'm building a stroker engine for my sons 94 mustang (800-850rwhp) and i've promised we'd put it together before i get welding and grinding on this one.

John

You mean the one sitting on my floor with the 4 holes...the support under the floor pan? If that is what you are referring to i got them through American Designers...aka SPI(Spectra Premium) out of Montreal, Quebec.

........John

70mstang, the 1 piece seat riser i got from Scott Drake. Be aware that i am changing it because it is to tall and leaves only 3 inches to get your legs by. NPD sells a 69/70 specific that has a lower profile. if you have tilt steering the one a have pictured would work.

Great photo album, love the homemade clock! I am amazed how strong our convertible numbers have grown especially with the more rare 70 model recently, I still remember being the only one here just 6 years ago.