Sign in to follow this  
69shelbycoupe

69 shelby coupe restomod

First I'll start off by telling how I got the car. I bought it from my uncle who partially restored it about 20yrs ago. He replaced the rear quarter panels and some other things before painting it. He never really finished putting it all together but still put it on the road and drove it. It's been sitting for the last 10yrs on my grandfathers farm. I asked my uncle if he was selling it and he said yeah if I wanted it. Needless to say I got a really good deal on it. I had a 94gt that was a weekend driver (street/dragstrip).

It ran high 10's in full street trim but I sold it to fund the buildup of this 69.

I originally was going to build a 69 shelby coupe using all the front end parts and convertible rear parts but changed my mind because of the front end cost. So, what I am doing is using the shelby convertible side scoops, trunk and endcaps, taillight panel, and center exit exhaust. I got the idea of building a shelby coupe from the green hornet protoype. The front end will be stock except for a fiberglass hood with the cougar eliminator scoop molded in it. I plan to put the shelby badging on it as well. The car will be lowered a couple inches and I'm putting either 17 or 18 in. wheels on it. I have already built the 351c to go in it along with a 4 speed toploader. Here are a few starter pics and I will keep up to date as progress is made.

DSC_6627.sized.jpg

69_mustang_coupe_to_Shelby_coupe_2.sized.jpg

69_mustang_coupe_to_Shelby_coupe_16.sized.jpg

DSC_7685.sized.jpg

69_mustang_coupe_to_shelby_coupe_001.sized.jpg

69_mustang_coupe_to_shelby_coupe_004.sized.jpg

Edited by 69shelbycoupe

You know somewhere around I have pictures of a blue '69 I saw at a show at knotts berry farm a few years ago that you may be interested in. I'll see if I can round them up. I like the idea, it's gonna be a sweet ride!

Well.....that didn't take long......not my pix but here t is in a mag......

here is the link......

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9352508+w750+st0/mufp_0701_15w_z+1969_ford_mustang_hardtop+front_with_headlights_on.jpg

That is exactly what I'm doing except I'm not using the boss 429 hood scoop. I'm using the eliminator scoop. Same dimensions just not as tall. He didn't use the shelby badging or use the mess trim in the trunk or quarter scoops either. He left it pretty plain.

Nice job on the deck and end caps. How much work did they require? I'm totally regretting getting the Maier Racing setup because of all the labor costs involved. I would have saved a ton of money and frustration had I just got the Shelby stuff from the beginning.

Well I went with the shelby parts obviously because of the build I'm doing not because of quality but I'm glad the quality is good.

I was debating about doing the Shelby spoiler just to make the coupe more agressive. But I didn't do it because of I didn't want to appear to be doing a Shelby clone of any sort, so I went with Maier. As you can tell from my project thread it was a BIG mistake. I won't even say how much the extra labor cost...it's embarassing!