Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Which U-Joint

When I pulled the engine and trans this past weekend my rear U-Joint fell apart. I was looking online and see that there are a couple different kinds, which one would I need? I see they have some that are 3.219" or 3.622" and some have two sets of retainers and some have four.

Yeah I'm not going radical with the motor just over 300hp. I'm just confused by the different types that show up on Autozone's website. I would go in the store and ask if I had in confidence that the idiots that work at my local store knew what they were talking about. I went in there Saturday and asked for an engine lift chain and they didn't know what it was.

Just go in and ask for a ujoint for your make and model car, and tell them the engine size, they should ask if you want greasable or non greasable, tell them you want the Brute Force Brand for your car, its a non greasable ujoint...Ie has no hole through it, simply pack the caps with grease and install it....They are good U-joints, I have them in my 77TA with over 100 passes on in with slicks...car weighs 4000lbs pulls a 1.74 60', makes 500lbft of torque and has never had a ujoint problem, has several N2o passes on it as well just blowing the tires off...So i think these ujoints will be fine for you.

Mike

Good to know! Unfortunately I use 1350 series and I doubt they'll have those.

Actually they do. You have to use the 2004 Mustang Cobra u-joints for them to look up. Their Duralast Gold are the solid non-greasable ones. I've never used them, so I don't know how good they are.

I second the notion to go into the store and get the Brute Force ones. I used them on my car before swapping in the larger driveshaft and T56. They will be able to hook you up. You want the 3.219" ones, as they are 1310s. The 3.625" are the 1350s used in CJ cars IIRC.

If you order online, pay attention to the u-joint size because Ford uses a special u-joint for the rear one. The caps that attach to the rear end are smaller diameter than a standard 1310. It's called a 1310 special IIRC. See here for measurements: http://www.actionmachineinc.com/ujointmeasuringguide.aspx