Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Tachometer ideas wanted

Howdy gents,

I'm looking for input on an aftermarket tach. My coupe is a 4-speed with no factory tach (a terrible thing) and I'm looking to put one in. I would prefer something small-ish so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but big enough to see.

So some specific quesitons:

* Recommendations on brand/size

* Recommendations on location per the above

I was thinking of mounting something directly below the dash pad between the two main gauges. Ideas and suggestions are most welcome. Pictures would even be more appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

I went with one of these. It's small and mounts on the column so you can position it out of the way or remove it entirely on show day. At 2-1/2" diameter it fits between the main clusters. It's not a drag racing tach by any means but it works. Disclaimer: I used to work for the company so I got mine for a ridiculously low price.

http://www.sunpro.com/product_detail.php?pid=16475

Edited by 69RavenConv

Seeing as you run Cragar SS wheels, you can keep the old school look going with a Sunpro tach like this,

sun-cp7901_w.jpg

It's $39.95 from Summit. It's a Sunpro II.

Or if you want the genuine old school look, there's this,

sun-sst802r_w.jpg

It's the retro version that's like the original they made in the 60's. It's $139. I ran a Sunpro II on the 70 in my avatar. I just used a large hose clamp to hold it to the steering column.

I used to run the old school sunpro on the column as well until I finally decided to make good use of the non factory tach situation and got the even older school hood monted tach. I know you don't want to go drilling holes in your hood Tom but I still think it would look great on your car!!!!!:shifty:

I'm intrigued, Pak. Can you point me to some "up close" pics of your setup? I've already deviated from stock with my newly installed exhaust setup (didn't go with the transverse, single muffler), so I'm slowly moving toward restomod anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I'm intrigued, Pak. Can you point me to some "up close" pics of your setup? I've already deviated from stock with my newly installed exhaust setup (didn't go with the transverse, single muffler), so I'm slowly moving toward restomod anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hey TOm,

Mine has only been dry fitted and then was removed for paint so it's not reattached yet but several other members have gone this route also. I found some pics of Opie's ride, his whole car actually isn't much different than mine now down to the Fiero seats so should give you a good idea. Here's a link with some great pics and different angles.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6294

This car actually came as close to factory original as it gets and was installed new from the dealer upon delivery, parts were ordered from the Trans Am racing catalog.

69scjMustang.jpg

Fines002.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hey TOm,

Mine has only been dry fitted and then was removed for paint so it's not reattached yet but several other members have gone this route also. I found some pics of Opie's ride, his whole car actually isn't much different than mine now down to the Fiero seats so should give you a good idea. Here's a link with some great pics and different angles.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6294

This car actually came as close to factory original as it gets and was installed new from the dealer upon delivery, parts were ordered from the Trans Am racing catalog.

69scjMustang.jpg

Fines002.jpg