Sign in to follow this  
ccobra70

not impressed w/modified mustang mag 70coupe

I hope I dont piss off anyone here if its a forum members ride, but just read the new modified mustang mag, and on the front cover inside front cover and a full layout inside is a 70 coupe thats is a nice car but deff. not a front cover or feature car. I have seen nicer cars in the back of the mag where they have readers roundup, why dont they feature some of those cars. just my opinion but there are some nicer cars out there. what do you guys think??

I have a subscription to the mag. I disagree. I think it's great to have a coupe on there instead of another fastback. Coupes don't get enough recognition. There is one thing I didn't like about the car and that was the interior. The steering wheel, 302 dash emblem and red bezel around shifter I could do without. Also it is supercharged wich is also not a common feature of a classic mustang. Open up 5.0 or muscle mustangs and just about every fox platform has a blower on it. I think that the 70 coupe deserved the cover just as much as anyone else.

69shelby I have a 70coupe and maybe thats why I picked on it, I like seeing a coupe on the front page ,and the interior is not to my liking but i guess he liked it but if your going to build a car and put that much effort in to it do it right, the door glass to quarter glass dosent look like it lines up the engine bay looks terrible look close at the firewall. look at the plug wires just thrown in, look under the fender wells, by the pinch welds on bottom, look at rear window trim , like I said earlier its your car make it how you want it, just take a little more time and effort or I dont think it should be a mag, layout car ,

69shelby I have a 70coupe and maybe thats why I picked on it, I like seeing a coupe on the front page ,and the interior is not to my liking but i guess he liked it but if your going to build a car and put that much effort in to it do it right, the door glass to quarter glass dosent look like it lines up the engine bay looks terrible look close at the firewall. look at the plug wires just thrown in, look under the fender wells, by the pinch welds on bottom, look at rear window trim , like I said earlier its your car make it how you want it, just take a little more time and effort or I dont think it should be a mag, layout car ,

I totally agree! After reading this thread, i saw the magazine on the shelf and picked it up to take a look. The car was total crap, it completely looked thrown together with no attention to detail. I mean, it should have been in a readers rides section or something. Far from a cover story!

If that's the standard for cover stories, my car is 10 times better looking than that, i should have a cover story!

Is this what everyone is talking about? I don't think its that bad. It has some custom touches that aren't to my liking but I can't really hate on it. Its different. I agree with 69shelbycoupe on the interior though.

ya know, i think it's a cool car and i sure hope the owner isn't a member of our little forum. this is the kind of thing that keeps from joining a car club, people nit-picking and trash talking other people's cars. personally i wish people could learn to not be so critical of other peoples pride and joy. not trying to start an argument here guys, just voicing my opinion. :surrender:

ya know, i think it's a cool car and i sure hope the owner isn't a member of our little forum. this is the kind of thing that keeps from joining a car club, people nit-picking and trash talking other people's cars. personally i wish people could learn to not be so critical of other peoples pride and joy. not trying to start an argument here guys, just voicing my opinion. :surrender:

:double fuck: You suck and so does your car! :2guns:

:ban:

I stand behind my previous statements. That car didn't deserve a cover story.

I'm not knocking the build or what he chose to do to it, but i expect a higher level of detail and finesse from cover story worthy cars. I'm just sayin.

I stand behind my previous statements. That car didn't deserve a cover story.

I'm not knocking the build or what he chose to do to it, but i expect a higher level of detail and finesse from cover story worthy cars. I'm just sayin.

Actually though you did, I quote "The car was total crap, it completely looked thrown together with no attention to detail." I'm just sayin. :shifty:

To Bryan's point, this is the kind of thing that would encourage some lurkers or even this owner not to join. We all know we are a friendly group of brothers here but most outsiders don't expect or perceive that from forums iin general. Rule #1 to being a car guy is you don't shit on another guys ride. Granted that's tougher to observe in the Chevy crowd than for us but it is pretty much a universal car guy rule none the less.

bnickle I just wanted to be clear, I am not bashing the car for what it is , my car is what it is, just like yours and anyone elses here, I love them all, to be honest no matter if its a over the top build with mega money of if its a teenagers first car and needs lots of work, but like I stated before and like jayru said it's deff. not a mag. feature front page car, I think there are alot better deserving cars out there where somebody has but the time and effort into a car to do it right that deserve a cover feature.

Let's not completely discount the power of nepotism, the owner could easily be a friend or relative of someone on the magazine giving them an in, that's how I got on the cover of a Hemmings mag years ago. Not that my car was deserving but that I knew the writer who was working on an article that my car was suited for. It just happened that the article ended up being the best one that month and one of my photo's made the cover as a result.

This article appears to be about making your own what if tribute car and this car is decked out like a bossish coupe so it wasn't there because it was jaw dropping necessarily but it fit the article and someone made it there own.

Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me a cover story, I'd take it in a heart beat! (although i know my car is not deserving of one).

And with that i wouldn't get my undies in a bunch if/when people pointed out it's flaws. ;-)

Was/is the red coupe cover worthy ? well, yes and no. The fit and finish isn't up to what some of us might be hoping to see. But I think it wasn't just that specific car that we are supposed to think about. But I have owned daily drivers that were in far worse shape. I drove them because thats what i had, and what I could afford. Coupes are ferequently ignored and need some more exposure. What if a coupe is the stang you happen to own ? LOTS of guys would love to own a B2 or a B 9 or a Mach 1 with a 428CJ, but there are only so many of them out there. And they are getting more and more pricey all of the time. i have a nice 69 fastback. If i had not purchased it in 1980, when it was just an 'old car' there is NO WAY i could afford to get into mustangs now. I wanted a 69 M1 with a 428CJ 4speed with PS PB and A/C. It had to be acapulco blue. First, i had a very rusty, all primer, 69 fb with a 351W and a 4 speed, manual everything. Sold it to a fellow who had the skill to fix the rust. Also drove a 69 fb with a 289 and 3 spd swapped in, manual everything. was winterfrosty blue. Sold it to the same guy as the first one. ( damn, he made some real money on those ). Then, a 70 M1, all primer, with a 351C-4V, 4speed and manual everything. I put mercury comet brakes ( disks ) and sold that too. Finally i find a blue 69 fastback wearing the right colour blue, I bought it. It has power front disc brakes, power steering, A/C, a very solid body. But it also has a little 302 2V, and an auto trans. So, thats what I still have. i have accumulated a wide ratio 4 speed, a 427SO block, MR heads, a 9 inch axle. It was always my intent to put all of this stuff in my car. I have already added a scoop on the hood, and the pins. Most folks don't know the differance between a FB and an M1 anyways. Now that I'm driving my car twice a week on a 75+ mile hike, the little 302 seems just fine, and I am wishing i could get overdrive in that.

So i think, rather than just the fit and finish of that one car, the cover is suggesting to ANYBODY with a stang that you can be one of us. Doesn't matter which stang you have, you're one of us.And if you feel like adding the features of some other stang, or some other Ford, to personalize the car to be what YOU wanted it to be- You're wellcome to be one of us and we want you here. And if the fit and polish aren't perfect, all of us didn't start off in concours condition either. But its okay, we are all one big happy family here.

Now if one wants to talk about what ought NOT be on the cover, what about the butchered 'eleanor' on the next months cover. That thing is just plain UGLY. And I'll bet that one was costly. The 67/8 fastback stangs are beautiful, the shelbys too, without some of the goofy s--- some people seem to think has to be added.

LSG

From a guy who is years if not decades away from completing his car, I appreciate any car that is finished. Also being a guy who is somewhat undecided what modifications I would like to make to my ride, I appreciate the opportunity to see something different. I have not read the article but it appears to be about "clones", and maybe there is justification for that car on the cover as a result.

Furthermore, I like the fact that there can be this form of banter in a forum.

"Can't we all just get along"

Bill from Ottawa Canada, Eh...

I hope I dont piss off anyone here if its a forum members ride, but just read the new modified mustang mag, and on the front cover inside front cover and a full layout inside is a 70 coupe thats is a nice car but deff. not a front cover or feature car. I have seen nicer cars in the back of the mag where they have readers roundup, why dont they feature some of those cars. just my opinion but there are some nicer cars out there. what do you guys think??

Hey don't bust my Bubble I liked it :tongue_smilie: