Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Toploader Rebuild - about how much should it cost?

Gents, am wondering if I could get some guidance on how much it should cost (more or less) to have a transmission rebuilt. There are probably lots of variables, and I'm clearly over my head here, but this is what I know:

* Toploader, 4 speed wide-ratio original tranny

* It jumps out of 2nd gear routinely (synchros seem to be worn upon visual inspection)

* Generally grinds a bit, shifts hard, not smooth at all

I have it out of the car.

Am going to replace the clutch plate/disk, throwout bearing, and pilot bushing since everything is out and looks quite worn. Gonna start looking at Summit for replacement stuff. Stock 351W so not looking for a fancy racing/performance clutch.

Anywho, guidance on the tranny rebuild would be much appreciated. I want to avoid being the babe in the woods here when I take it someplace.

Tom

If it is alrady aout of the car...The rebuild kits run $150 for a good kit.

Worn gears will cost extra.

I imagine that someone will charge you 4 to 6 hours labor to rebuild it if you bring them the loose tranny. So maybe $400 to $500 dollars?

I also have a Toploader 4 speed wide-ratio transmission for my '69 Mach 1. Since I was already working on my engine I took the transmission in to get rebuilt and it ended up costing me around $450. So the whole $400-$500 price range isn't far off. Also I didn't take anything into the transmission guy, he ordered all the parts and did all the work and that's what it cost me to have done.

James

If you are tempted to do it yourself, I recommend a kit from Toploader Heaven. He has a great instructional CD and you really can do it yourself. BTW, that jumping out of gear is probably the gear, not the synchros, so you will need more parts than just the kit. Mark at TH can coach you on this and sell you what you need.

www.toploaderheaven.com

Rebuild it myself, eh? That's an interesting thought. I took a look at the parts explosion (an apt term in this case) in my shop manuals and was overwhelmed by all the little things. I just assumed it was over my head. I guess this is why we do most of this stuff ourselves: it's just too dang expensive (and no fun) to farm it out.

I will consider that, rockhouse. I'll call those guys and see what they say.

Tom

Ok, I am going to take the big plunge and try this myself! Just got off the phone with Mark from ToploaderHeaven and ordered a rebuild kit, wide-ratio 2nd gear and low/2nd synchro assembly. I might live to regret this, but what the heck!

Mark stayed on the phone with me while I removed the access plate, counted teeth on gears, looked at numbers stamped on the housing, etc. and remotely diagnosed worn down teeth on 2nd gear based on my descriptions. He's a really nice and patient guy.

I figure I'm going to learn a ton and assuming I don't screw it all up and have that DIY satisfaction every time my Stang stays in 2nd gear.

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it. :)

Thanks for the push, Rockhouse!

You can do it Tom! With a step by step CD it's not going to be as overwhelming as an epxploded diagram. You just go step by step piece by piece and before you know it it's done. I had checked out badshoeproductions to make the same suggestion the other day when you posted but they don't cover the 4spd. I plan to use their rebuild CD when I finally find a used 5speed and give it a try too. I know folks with little to no skill level that have been succesful so it should be a breeze for ya.

Good luck!

Mark's instructions and tool tricks make this possible for a novice to do at home with simple hand tools. I have done two now with good results. There are a couple of fussy steps, like getting the detent balls in properly, but be patient and keep tryiing and you will get it.