Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

Unbelievable !!!

So I found a body guy to do the minor body work to my 1969 mustang fastback. 10 months ago i dropped my car off to get the work done and a full paint job. Just a few weeks ago i get a text message from the guy stating that i need to come pick up my car because he's too busy and he has his racing season coming up. We decided for me to come this week to get my car and deposit back. So tonight (tues 3-30-2010) i came to pick up my car around 8:30pm. A little dark but plenty of light from my truck and flood lights. Once we get the car on the trailer I notice a long vertical dent on my rear quarter panel right behind the wheel well. I told this guy that this was never there before, that it was an original panel. then i see in the rear corner where someone hit my car. The rear taillight panel is pushed in and isn't a straight line and all the area where the rear quarter panels mount is smashed in. He said that he would take care of it... I told him to find out (in the last few days this happened) who hit my car and will go trough the insurance co. I think I should give him until Friday to find out who did this or i will file a police report for hit and run. I am going out tomorrow to get estimates for the damage, but since this is a RUST FREE car and has never been hit before, that i am concerned that the body maybe tweeked and panels may not line up when time comes to put these together....

Had you followed up with him at all in the 10 months or visited and seen your car? I think after 4-6 months I would have pulled my car myself if nothing had been done to it yet. Was he going to try to just pawn it off on you like that if you hadn't noticed or did he seem genuinely surprised?

I would give him a few days to make good before getting the cops involved only because once you do things can get ugly real quick and you could find yourself in the hot seat trying to prove that it wasn't dropped off like that, it is a body shop after all. Heck, if he got pissed off he could even try to go after you for storage charges. Who's right doesn't always matter these days so flexing muscle should be your last resort.

I've learnt the hard way that whenever you turn your car over to anyone you need to cover your ass in several ways. Pics of the car in the current condition upon delivery, an inspection diagram like they use with the transport companies noting exisiting damage and it's location and signed by both parties, a written estimate and work order, an agreed upon timeline for services, etc... it sucks but this is the world we live in and I've seen friends and famillies torn apart by stuff like this much less strangers.

I knew the damage issue would be difficult to prove but what the heck is the reason for not giving back the deposit? He's the one who backed out on you and told you to pick up the car so what possible reason could he have for keeping the deposit when no work has been done?

I would not trust this guy. He didn't touch the car for 10 months & then doesn't notice that kind of damage? File a police report, go somewhere else & then go after him for damages.

agreed..dont make him take care of it. say you'll take it somewhere else and you'll send him the bill.

Proving he did the damage will be very tough. But I agree with Pak....Why is he not giving you your deposit back !!? Did he do any work to the car ? How much did you give him? Was it cash or a cheque ?