Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Door skin Removal

Why spend the money? All you need to do is sand/grind the edge of the door skin until you can see the edge of the door then separate the 2. Lastly rill the spot welds that hold the thin strip remaining on the inside, or use an air hammer to remove it.

Mike

Yes there are spot welds....All along inside the door edge. You will still need to grind those down.

Running a grinder along the edge to take the skin off takes very little time. Save the 8 bucks and the time going out to get the tool. In the time it takes to go get the tool the skins could be off !!

You're one step ahead of me. I have my driver door skin off, but haven't put the new one back on yet. It's been sitting in the garage for two weeks waiting for me to get time to work on it...

after removing my skins (i just used the grinder method), i then media blasted the door frames.

they both turned to swiss cheese. :eek:

thus i have two new door skins laying in the attack.

that was just my experience, when i thought i had good frames...

Dave how did you remove the spot wells on the top of the door frame again please. I have been sitting on this project for years due to lack of time. Thanks for the inspiration. The top of the door the way it looks looks kinda hairy to remove and attach. Are you gonna glue the skins back in or weld it? Thanks good show.

the only way we were able to remove the spot welds on the top of the door was to basically hammer and chisel the spot welds. No way ur getting a drill or anything else in there. As far as re-attaching the new skins, I havent done it yet but once i do it I will post pics and the steps i took.

if you slice the skin off near the top, you can easily access the four or so spot welds that connect the brackets to the frame. i think there were two per bracket. the skins come with the top channel that the felt connects too.

either drill out the spot welds then or use a grinder to knock the metal down. a hammer and chisel doesn't sounds like a good way to tear up metal that you need.

if you haven't got the skins yet, then when you do you will see that removing the skin should take about 10 minutes total. the "skin" contains more metal than just a single piece of steel.

So why did you decide against the corner patches? My door will look that the first pic once I cut out the rust and wondering why you went with a skin.

Edited by LFugate
More info!

so I removed 1 door skin last night, the crimper tool i bought was a great investment. Went pretty quick, the only thing that was a pain was the spot welds on the top of the door.

Now that your door skin is off would be a good time to Repair/replace the window regulator

I was wondering about that too, I would imagine that it is much easier to work on the window regulators once the skin is off, or does it really matter.

Bill

It would be a HUGE help as you can touch feel and SEE everything

definently I have both skins off now and its so much easier to do work on the windows now. While taking off the second skin I was suprised to see the shape of the window, Im guessing it is an original. Ill post a pic of it to show everyone what i mean