Sign in to follow this  
d.reese

Nice ride for the price!

I think it would be cool to hop-up the big six a little and add a 5-speed. It woulds make a really nice summer cruiser. :biggrin:

@70March03: the l-code is still a small six and hopping it up is more expensive then getting a cheap turnkey V8.

but i agree, who want's a cheap v8 if he can get a cool Inline 6 :punk::punk::punk:

@70March03: the l-code is still a small six and hopping it up is more expensive then getting a cheap turnkey V8.

but i agree, who want's a cheap v8 if he can get a cool Inline 6 :punk::punk::punk:

The L-code was the "big" six at 250 cubic inches while the T-code was the "smaller" six at 200 cubic inches. They also made a 300 cubic inch six-cylinder but it was for trucks only. I have a friend in my Mustang club now with a '67 coupe powered by a 200 six-cylinder who's added a 2-barrel, cam, and headers along with a little head work and it runs pretty good.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I had a buddy many years ago that bought a '69 Sportsroof Mustang brand new after getting out of the Army in 1969. It had the 250-1V with 3-speed manual and was surprising with the torque off the line. He ran it ragged and everything he saw on the street. He got the jump on many a Supercar back in the day (usually due to wheel spin on their part) but by 30 mph all he saw was tail lights (LOL).<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

In 1972 I test drove two new Mavericks. One had the 250 six-cylinder and the other the 302-2V eight-cylinder. During the test drive, other that the sound under full throttle, I had difficulty telling which felt faster. Ended up with the V-8, my wife liked the color better. :whistling:

The L-code was the "big" six at 250 cubic inches while the T-code was the "smaller" six at 200 cubic inches. They also made a 300 cubic inch six-cylinder but it was for trucks only. I have a friend in my Mustang club now with a '67 coupe powered by a 200 six-cylinder who's added a 2-barrel, cam, and headers along with a little head work and it runs pretty good.

I had a buddy many years ago that bought a '69 Sportsroof Mustang brand new after getting out of the Army in 1969. It had the 250-1V with 3-speed manual and was surprising with the torque off the line. He ran it ragged and everything he saw on the street. He got the jump on many a Supercar back in the day (usually due to wheel spin on their part) but by 30 mph all he saw was tail lights (LOL).<o:p></o:p>

In 1972 I test drove two new Mavericks. One had the 250 six-cylinder and the other the 302-2V eight-cylinder. During the test drive, other that the sound under full throttle, I had difficulty telling which felt faster. Ended up with the V-8, my wife liked the color better. :whistling:

Man, I had a 69 coupe in high school with the 250 six 3 speed, manual brakes and steering. That car didn't get the jump on anything, even after a rebuild, 2 barrel and headers. I swapped a 302 4 speed into it out of a Maverick and it absolutely transformed the car.

They are making some pretty cool heads for the sixes now though.

@max power: your looking at one ;-)

@70Mach03: small six = 140, 170, 200 & 250cid, big six = 240 & 300 cid.

in 1969, 200cid and 250cid were available. both are small six engines

it's like windsor and FE:

221-351W = small block V8

332-428 FE = big block V8

and yes, big six are tuck engines.

ah you all just triggered a thought..... big six 300 cid with a twin turbo (grendi second pic) and a five/six speed. now that would be interesting...:tongue_smilie:

Back in 1970, I knew a guy with a '65 coupe with 200 six and 3-speed manual. He added triple 1V carbs and manifold, headers, hotter cam, and it seems like he dropped a 170 head on the block to raise compression. It was pretty quick and probably a low-15 second car as I saw him put a hurting on a '69 M-Code Mach 1 with auto one night. It sounded like crap with twin glasspacks but ran very well.

@stangme428 that engine is "only" my 250cid L-code.

- slightly hoter cam

- flat top pistons

- high ratio roller rockers

- portet alu head

- autolite 4100 spreadbore

it should make a nice cruiser once it's finished.

but there are some crazy guys in the fordsix forum that added forced induction, solid lifters and EFI to their inline 6.

one of them uses the name "does10s" ;-)

@70Mach03

that's called an offenhauser setup. if your able to adjust it properly, it's a great way to get a lot of power and it looks great!

a friend of me has a setup just like this one with 3 holley visflow carbs

I am not sure if the big six will fit under the hood of our Mustangs. Has anyone done the swap? I think it is a taller motor, which is why it was mostly used in trucks and Galaxies.

The problem with the small six is the intake manifold is integral to the head, unlike the big six. You either had to do some expensive creative machining back in the day, use an adapter that still chokes down to the one hole, or these days buy an aftermarket head and intake that will allow for more induction without adapters.

I guess there is a dual plane intake available for the aftermarket heads the stacks the planes on top of each other in each port. Very cool.

I am not sure if the big six will fit under the hood of our Mustangs. Has anyone done the swap? I think it is a taller motor, which is why it was mostly used in trucks and Galaxies.

The problem with the small six is the intake manifold is integral to the head, unlike the big six. You either had to do some expensive creative machining back in the day, use an adapter that still chokes down to the one hole, or these days buy an aftermarket head and intake that will allow for more induction without adapters.

I guess there is a dual plane intake available for the aftermarket heads the stacks the planes on top of each other in each port. Very cool.

I've heard or read somewhere about the Aussie 250 6 cylinder head being a good upgrade. They have a removable intake like the 300 and are much better on the intake side flow-wise and easy to port. But of coarse finding one and having it shipped here would probably be expensive. I think they used the basic 250 6 design in Aussie Fords up to just a few years ago. It grew in displacement, was fuel injected and had a overhead cam near the end if I remember correctly.

I've heard or read somewhere about the Aussie 250 6 cylinder head being a good upgrade. They have a removable intake like the 300 and are much better on the intake side flow-wise and easy to port. But of coarse finding one and having it shipped here would probably be expensive. I think they used the basic 250 6 design in Aussie Fords up to just a few years ago. It grew in displacement, was fuel injected and had a overhead cam near the end if I remember correctly.

yep, the aussi head + intake was the way to go, before classic inlines startet to make heads and intakes.

and no, the did not use it up to a few years, they are still making inline six.

by the way, 270kW/533Nm produced by the current top of the line aussi 6 is more power then you get from the 4.6 modular (224kW/433Nm) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852824823&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FFord-Default&c=DFYPage&site=FOA

yep, the aussi head + intake was the way to go, before classic inlines startet to make heads and intakes.

by the way, 270kW/533Nm produced by the current top of the line aussi 6 is more power then you get from the 4.6 modular (224kW/433Nm) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852824823&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FFord-Default&c=DFYPage&site=FOA