Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Best Way to remove engine paint?

How much paint we talking? I just bought a used intake that had about 5 coats of grabber green over 2 coats of blue. I used spray on stripper, scrapers, wire wheels and at last sand blasted it to make it look new. You obviously can't sand blast a whole engine, and if your not looking for a full rebuild, removable things like valve covers, oil pan, intake, etc, blasting works pretty good if the paint is not real thick. You would want new gaskets on all this stuff anyway if your spending alot of time cleaning and detailing your engine. Oil leaks would make it all wasted time.

Dremels or something with a wire wheel are handy for cleaning up areas like the block and heads. It will be alot of work tho. I would clean the block and heads before taking valve covers or oil pan off to keep crud out of the inside of your engine.

If your rebuilding the engine, just take all the parts to the machine shop and have them hot-tank it all. Most if not all of the paint will be gone then.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

I use "Easy Off" oven cleaner, on all greasy / painted areas and a pressure washer. Spray out side and keep fumes down wind, let soak for 20 min in 70 degree or less and hit it with the PW! Works great on all my stuff. May take two or three time if real caked on grease,. Even Lowes sells the stuff. You can even take the parts to the car wash, spray down then wash if you don't have a pressure washer!

Edited by d.reese

If you have the block stripped down take the block to a Engine rebuilder/machine shop that Cooks the blocks and intakes in a oven....the block will come back Like a NEW Casting

If you have the block stripped down take the block to a Engine rebuilder/machine shop that Cooks the blocks and intakes in a oven....the block will come back Like a NEW Casting

I would not recommend sand blasting around engine parts. That stuff gets everywhere and it's impossible to get it all out. Sooner or later the media will find its way in to parts of the engine you don't want it to. Ask me how I know. I've used Aircraft Paint Stripper with great results. What I like is it won't ruin soft parts like rubber or plastic. Get gloves and work where you have a LOT of ventilation and be patient but it is another way to get good results.

I would not recommend sand blasting around engine parts. That stuff gets everywhere and it's impossible to get it all out. Sooner or later the media will find its way in to parts of the engine you don't want it to. Ask me how I know. I've used Aircraft Paint Stripper with great results. What I like is it won't ruin soft parts like rubber or plastic. Get gloves and work where you have a LOT of ventilation and be patient but it is another way to get good results.

Running engine in car, here's my method for detailing an old engine bay:

bag the carb and the distributor, engine degreaser, then water, then brakleen, then compressed air, then 2" 3m flexible sanding discs with the rubber backing pad on an air drill or die grinder with adapter stud, then compressed air, then brakleen again, then compressed air again.

oh, dont forget the safety goggles and rubber gloves. :blink:

Running engine in car, here's my method for detailing an old engine bay:

bag the carb and the distributor, engine degreaser, then water, then brakleen, then compressed air, then 2" 3m flexible sanding discs with the rubber backing pad on an air drill or die grinder with adapter stud, then compressed air, then brakleen again, then compressed air again.

oh, dont forget the safety goggles and rubber gloves. :blink: