Sign in to follow this  
Angel

Cobra vs. Bullitt

Cobra calipers or Bullitt calipers? Which look cooler?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Cobra calipers or Bullitt calipers? Which look cooler?

• Cobra calipers
    • Bullitt calipers

You can get the mach 1 calipers. Theyre plain. All three of them perform the same. Only main difference is the appearance.

Just out of curiosity, why did you guys choose the bullitt over the cobra? Or vice verse?

I voted Cobra. Technically our cars aren't any of these updated modern things but back in the day if you wanted to upgrade your car, Cobra parts are what you bought, the valve covers alone are one of the most single most popular things to appear on any Mustang. Even years after the name Shelby was no longer associated with Mustang, the nameplate of Cobra remained with Ford and stood for performance modifications. I don't see it as posing at all. If you have Brembo or Wilwood brakes they say Brembo or Wilwood, if you have Cobra brakes they say Cobra, there never was a 69" Cobra Mustang so how can you appear something you aren't? It's not like you are adding Cobra "Jet" graphics on the car with out a CJ motor.

I think the running pony on the other hand is way over used, I've seen some cars with it plastered everywhere and it get's ridiculous looking. Embroidered on the head rest, on the seat belts on the floor mats, anywhere it will fit, as if someone may mistake it for a Camaro or something.

I voted Cobra. Technically our cars aren't any of these updated modern things but back in the day if you wanted to upgrade your car, Cobra parts are what you bought, the valve covers alone are one of the most single most popular things to appear on any Mustang. Even years after the name Shelby was no longer associated with Mustang, the nameplate of Cobra remained with Ford and stood for performance modifications. I don't see it as posing at all. If you have Brembo or Wilwood brakes they say Brembo or Wilwood, if you have Cobra brakes they say Cobra, there never was a 69" Cobra Mustang so how can you appear something you aren't? It's not like you are adding Cobra "Jet" graphics on the car with out a CJ motor.

I think the running pony on the other hand is way over used, I've seen some cars with it plastered everywhere and it get's ridiculous looking. Embroidered on the head rest, on the seat belts on the floor mats, anywhere it will fit, as if someone may mistake it for a Camaro or something.

I couldn't agree more Pak! If cobra was plastered all over a stock stang (or a 6cyl), then I'd think it was lame (like the overused pony symbol). Pony symbols on mustangs have become what Type-R badges are to imports, overused and lame...

But when you build/make these cars to go fast. The name Cobra just screams lookout (!) I'm a Bad Ass Mother F'er...

I love the look of the snake/cobra badges as well.

I agree with pak & jay the horse would be over used. Personally I'd like blank and don't like emblems & labels cluttering up a car. Case in point, I wouldn't allow my wife to have the Jesus fish on the sable for a long time but finally gave in and only allowed Navy bumper stickers on the back window (not on the paint, easier to remove) when my son joined the navy. Plus my DD ZX2 only has a blue star flag in the back window besides the factory emblems. Absolutely hate dealer emblems (neither car has them).

Had to make this decision myself a couple of months ago. I choose to go Bullit (exact same as the Mach 1 calipers BTW) because I don't own a cobra. I personally see this as the same thing as adding cobra badges to your fender.

If it helps make up your mind: The bullit/mach 1 calipers can often be purchased for slightly cheaper even tho they are exactly the same as the cobra calipers. If you buy the bullitt/mach1 caliper you are guaranteed a caliper with 40mm pistons, some cobra calipers came with 38mm pistons.

You can buy plain/painted calipers with no design on them. BUT, these are all "rebuilt" calipers. If you see someone selling you "brand new" calipers that don't have the cobra lettering or the running horse logo, they are actually refurbished calipers not new.

Had to make this decision myself a couple of months ago. I choose to go Bullit (exact same as the Mach 1 calipers BTW) because I don't own a cobra. I personally see this as the same thing as adding cobra badges to your fender.

Wow, I am really surprised at your reply FF, being such a heavy modifier and all. You'll hate my car when it's done then, lol. Because of all the engine mods I have done (both technical and aesthetic) and all the fiberglass I have added to it now I was planning to add the small rectangle "COBRA" font badge beneath my Mustang script on the fenders, simillar to the engine designation that was used here on some models like the hood scoop one. I figure since it's no longer a stock Mustang and certainly not a Shelby that it was somewhere in the middle now as a modifed car and so I consider it a Mustang Cobra hybrid. I thought it would help tie in my custom valve covers and the calipers and what not, I was even maybe possibly considering some Cobra floor mats to pull the whole theme together. No snake emblems anywhere, just the Cobra name.

Wow, I am really surprised at your reply FF, being such a heavy modifier and all. You'll hate my car when it's done then, lol. Because of all the engine mods I have done (both technical and aesthetic) and all the fiberglass I have added to it now I was planning to add the small rectangle "COBRA" font badge beneath my Mustang script on the fenders, simillar to the engine designation that was used here on some models like the hood scoop one. I figure since it's no longer a stock Mustang and certainly not a Shelby that it was somewhere in the middle now as a modifed car and so I consider it a Mustang Cobra hybrid. I thought it would help tie in my custom valve covers and the calipers and what not, I was even maybe possibly considering some Cobra floor mats to pull the whole theme together. No snake emblems anywhere, just the Cobra name.

Just my personal viewpoint. I just don't think the car will look any better with the cobra badging, and I personally hate having to tell people "Actually, it's not a cobra". My centercaps have the snake logo on them and I get that every now and then. I would have replaced them by now if they didn't want $50/each. For some reason they wouldn't give me a choice when I ordered.

With a car like yours, I wouldn't think any less of it due to the cobra lettering. Mostly for the reasons you already mentioned. I only take exception when I see a mostly stock vehicle running around with a bunch of cobra badging.

Personally, I think coming up with your own badging would be cooler. Call it the "Drag Pak" or something ;)

I'm just not a big "advertise the performance" guy. My car has nothing on it but the "Mustang" lettering. The Mach1 scoop and wing, big wheels/tires, lowering, dual exhaust, etc give a hint of performance..but for all you can tell from the outside I might have a 6 cylinder under the hood.

Actually, now that I think about it... the intercooler probably gives it away, but I think you'd have to be looking for it to really notice it. Easy to think it's the radiator if you don't look closely.

To each their own tho. A lot of people on the internet seem to want to tell everyone else what they should and shouldn't do with their cars. I'm not a big fan of that. I try to only offer my opinion if asked. Car shows would be boring if everyone did the same thing. I often find myself spending more time looking at an "ugly abortion" than I do the beautiful but "cookie cutter" car beside it.

I hear all that and agree, I wouldn't agrue opinions as they all have merit I was just suprised is all. I don't bother to tell stray people what anything really is anymore, I usually figure if they knew they wouldn't point it out or ask and if they don't know then why bother. I was even considering to use a 65' MUSTANG fender emblem at one time instead of the out of place script, Chip Foose did on a 69' and it looked great. I decided against it for just that reason though. I'm sure when some non stanger comes up to you with a "Dude, what a cool looking custom spoiler" you don't bother to go "Actually, it's on backwards".:shifty: Heh heh. Now go do what's right and take a grinder to those center caps, now mister!

Cobra all the way. The name stands for performance and a great man . And they look cool. I hear they work as good as they look. If I had a choice that would be it. But I say each to his own flavor or choice and all things are unique. Variety is a spice.