Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

351 Windsor 2V vs 4V Heads

No difference that I know of. 289s, 302s & 351Ws share the same head with differences in valve size and possibly combustion chamber size/shape. I suppose those differences may also exist within each displacement family. I'm pretty sure the heads changed somewhat as the 302 became refined through the 80s and into the 90s.

I heard the '69 351w 2v and 4v heads are the same. 2V had dished pistons (lower compression) and 2bbl intake and carb. The 4V had flat top pistons with 4 valve reliefs (higher compression) and 4 bbl intake and carb.

of you run windsor heads and you want more hp and have a cam, you need to port the bejesus out of the exhaust.

That's exactly right!

I run 1969 C9OE castings because I couldn't afford new aftermarket heads at the time the engine was being built. Under the engine builders supervision I spent a lot of time opening up the exhaust ports and removing the casting bump on the roof that is used for the smog pump on later years. The intakes need very little in comparison. You will still need to have a machine shop install larger valves, hardened exhaust seats, new valve guides or liners, machine for screw in rocker studs and guide plates, plus machine for valve springs if your camshaft requires a double spring (mine didn't).

With a 1969 casting, the end result can be pretty good for a stock casting cylinder head. Plus the 1969 castings have the smallest combustion chamber, 60cc, for a 351W and are the most sought after for stock castings. I'm happy with mine.

That's exactly right!

I run 1969 C9OE castings because I couldn't afford new aftermarket heads at the time the engine was being built. Under the engine builders supervision I spent a lot of time opening up the exhaust ports and removing the casting bump on the roof that is used for the smog pump on later years. The intakes need very little in comparison. You will still need to have a machine shop install larger valves, hardened exhaust seats, new valve guides or liners, machine for screw in rocker studs and guide plates, plus machine for valve springs if your camshaft requires a double spring (mine didn't).

With a 1969 casting, the end result can be pretty good for a stock casting cylinder head. Plus the 1969 castings have the smallest combustion chamber, 60cc, for a 351W and are the most sought after for stock castings. I'm happy with mine.

After paying for all of that, you are usually in the price range of aftermarket heads anyway.

Max Power,

In todays market you are correct. These were done a long time ago, (1) I got a break on the labor rate, (2) an extremely experienced machinist at the mfg company I worked for performed the machine work for screw in studs and guide plates free of charge, (3) it was my free labor to do the port work under the guidance of the engine builder, and (4) at the time the only aftermarket heads available were much more expensive than todays market.

Max Power,

In todays market you are correct. These were done a long time ago, (1) I got a break on the labor rate, (2) an extremely experienced machinist at the mfg company I worked for performed the machine work for screw in studs and guide plates free of charge, (3) it was my free labor to do the port work under the guidance of the engine builder, and (4) at the time the only aftermarket heads available were much more expensive than todays market.

Fair enough. A unique situation worth mentioning.