Sign in to follow this  
Angel

vintage venom vs. mustang steve

Im interested in installing cobra brakes. Both of these guys sell the adapter brackets for the 69. I know some of you guys have the mustang steve kit and others have the vintage venom kit. I currently have the gradada set up. Drums in the back. I have 17x7 center line wheels up front and 18x9.5 in the back. I want to re-use my wheels when I upgrade however, I e-mailed vintage venom and they said their kit would require wheels with 30mm offset. Steve's kit says that normal backspacing is maintained but late model wheels can be used with a 1" spacer. The same spacer is used for the vintage kit. Couldn't I use the vintage kit by simply not using their spacer and maybe smaller studs? What kit would you guys recommend? For those of you have have either, how do you like it?

I guess I don't see the logic behind how wheel offset can affect brakes? Wheel diameter and spoke clearance for the larger caliper is what I'd be worried about. Maybe I have the Friday morning blues and am not thinking correctly

Im interested in installing cobra brakes. Both of these guys sell the adapter brackets for the 69. I know some of you guys have the mustang steve kit and others have the vintage venom kit. I currently have the gradada set up. Drums in the back. I have 17x7 center line wheels up front and 18x9.5 in the back. I want to re-use my wheels when I upgrade however, I e-mailed vintage venom and they said their kit would require wheels with 30mm offset. Steve's kit says that normal backspacing is maintained but late model wheels can be used with a 1" spacer. The same spacer is used for the vintage kit. Couldn't I use the vintage kit by simply not using their spacer and maybe smaller studs? What kit would you guys recommend? For those of you have have either, how do you like it?

No, there hubcentric spacer mounts behind the hat of the rotor. The quality of there kit is very nice. I haven't seen Mustang Steve's so can't comment on it.

This kit fits the Granada (&/or 68-73 Mustang DISK) spindles so you can get the 13" Cobra brakes but don't have to change to Mustang drum spindles:

cobra-granada-kit2.jpg

http://www.streetortrack.com/13-Cobra-front-bracket-kit-for-68-73-DISK-or-75-80-GRANADA-spindles-pr-24431.html

Or this one for drum spindles:

13cbk.jpg

http://www.streetortrack.com/13-Cobra-front-bracket-kit-for-65-73-DRUM-spindles-pr-23991.html

Edited by Shaun

i was debating on going with this kit aswell but im runngin 17x8s AR TT's so I have no idea if i'm able to reuse my TT's.

You can use this kit on DRUM spindles and still use your TTII wheels and NO spacers - http://www.streetortrack.com/13-Rotor-bracket-kit-for-DRUM-spindles-pr-23823.html

Use this one for the same goal on DISK spindles - http://www.streetortrack.com/13-Rotor-bracket-kit-for-DISK-spindles-pr-24141.html

The 13x1.1" rotors in these kits feature a higher hat offset than the OE Cobra rotor and allow the caliper to sit further inboard. This makes the wheel spokes of TTII wheels clear the caliper face without the need for spacers. Use these kits with OE drum hubs and track width is not changed.

On VMF, Steve said he would give a 10% discount to anyone who mentioned VMF when purchasing his stuff. But only until thanksgiving 2010. I have been wanting to buy his brackets since I already have cobra calipers. This discount would save about $40 if I buy front and back. Only reason I havent ordered is because I noticed that in order to install the rear kit, I need to replace the bearings. Street or track says that bearing removal is not required for installation of their kit. I wasn't planning on rebuilding the rear diff this upcoming year. I wanted to wait till 2012 for that. What kit would be better for the rear in my situation?

Angel,

The only bearing you need to repalce is the axle's outer bearing. You don't need to replace any bearings inside of the differential. If your car already has front disc and rear drums you are half way there. The rear really doesn't need much of an upgrade making it real easy to use the Master Power 11"x2" rear drum brake assemblies. They bolt right on and there is no need to plumb in a pressure regulator for the rear brakes. Then you can go with large over sized (read diameter) front brake assemblies in front which is where you mainly need braking upgrade for any how. Bruce

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will eventually rebuild the differential and add posi traction with some nice gears. For now, I just wanted to bolt on the rear discs because I will be running a master cylinder from a newer cobra. So I wasnt sure if I should just install the rear discs or wait till I rebuild the diff.