Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Engine, heads and intake date codes

The date codes on components is often part of the casting and often will be much older than the cars manufacture date. Example: My 69 Cougar Eliminator had a 390 in it, and the original engine completely original to the car. The intake had a C6 code on it, meaning it was a 66 design. The intake may have been cast in 69, but the casting itself still had the original casting number of 1966 on it.

This is common with Fords, and part of the reason Ford guys are not as wound up on "numbers matching" as the other guys. If your 69 has parts that were created for the 69 models, like headlight buckets, tail light lenses, etc, the date code will probably be a C9 code, but on older engine designs like the 390 engines, they will carry the codes from when they made their debut. That's why Fords are such a mix and match.

Honestly, the incentive for Ford to change their casting number on a 390 intake for later models was practically nil. Nobody cared about numbers matching in those days.

There's a difference between the casting number and the casting date code. The numbers Max Power refers too are the casting numbers which only tell you when the design of the part was approved for manufacture. These numbers have the same format as Ford part numbers. The casting date code tells the exact date that the specific part you're looking at was cast. The format on the date code would appear like this: 3D20 and would indicate the year ('73), month (April), and the day (20). Bearing this in mind, it's not unusual to find a particular part with a casting number that is much older than the date code.

Just wanted to clarify a bit...

Yeah, I did a double take when I confused those two when working on my '85 F250...

I noticed a few casting numbers that were D0 or D6 and I imediatly assumed the motor was not original (not that it mattered) before I remembered that those weren't the actual build date...

I have been unsucessfull at finding a date code on my current 302, anyone know exactly where it should be hidden?

For the block they are typically on the passenger side towards the bottom. Looking underneath the car you should see a flat spot with the date codes.

i believe its towards the back of the block on the passenger side isnt it...

Yeah its towards the back. Sometimes it can be difficult to see the codes with the starter in the way depending on if it is the original or a mini starter. It's been awhile since I've been under my car, so this is going off rough memory

Does anyone know the typical duration of time between component manufacture date and the car's actual manufacture date? My Mach was built 11-28-68 and I found a 11-8-68 engine block. I suspect there are multiple schools of thought on this subject. Thanks

Adverage time frame was 30-90 days.

Engine assy and body plants were not in the same building.

Engines were shipped by rail to assy plants.