Sign in to follow this  
cmrmach1

Distinctive mach 1 upholstery tmi better

Mine are TMI and they're nice, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them since I don't have anything to compare with. with a lot of this repop stuff there is one maker and lots of brands putting their name on it, maybe this is just another case of that but I don't know.

I put Distinctive covers on my seats. They were a tight fit. I pulled some of threads on my seat bottom trying to get to fit. Probably needed to let them heat up and stretch more. I had an upholstery guy finish them. They look good. I purchased them from Mustangs Unlimited. I posted a pic of my seats in the car.

cmrmach1, I purchased a set of TMI sport seats after seeing them in Carlisle. Worst mistake I ever made. They looked and sat great on the display but once I had them put together they looked like crap. There is velcro instead of listing rods holding the seams down, don't do very well at all.

The other down fall in my opinion is that they set you up higher in the car causing, entering the car a little more difficult if you are getting older and heavier. I will try to attach photos of them to show all. Sorry I tried but I think my pictures resolution is to high.

Thanks for the replys . I need to order the stock covers not the sport seats . Sale price for the distinctive industries front set on sale is $173. Cheapest i can find tmi is abour $225. I'd like to save $50 but not if the quality and finished prodect will be noticably different.

I went all out and got the TMI covers as well as there new seat foam. I had a professional install them and they look good but it's going to take about 35 more years to get the seat foam squashed down a bit like my old seats were (LOL). And I have to admit, I also looked at the seats at Carlisle and tried them out. The ones at the show were more comfy than mine are now. I think the new foam makes them sit a little higher till you get them worn in.

70MACH, is your velcro holding down where it should? I also had a professional shop do mine and they still looked like crap. My 2cs.

I don’t remember seeing any Velcro, of course that doesn’t mean it’s not there. A friend of mine works in an upholstery shop and he did both my front and rear seats about two years ago. I was impressed with the quality of the TMI seats and haven’t had any problem or complaints. I’ve just got to get used to the new foam as I do sit a little higher than I did.

70MACH, TMI sells a sport seat with the high density foam and the regular covers with reg foam. Sport covers have the velcro and the factory looking covers have the listing rods in them. I spent close to $900.00 on the complete deal and I feel I got it where the sun doesn't shine. Since then I repurchased the reg. factory look covers and foam but havn't had them installed yet. I will try to get some pictures taken and post them for all to see.

My 2cts.

This is my first post, but I'm not new to the 69 Mach 1. I just purchased new upholstery and foam pads for my 69 Mach 1 front buckets. Can anyone give some tips on how to install the upholstery? I've made a couple of attempts, but really not sure how you attach the listing wires at the accent stripe area with hog rings.

Thanks

Phil

This is my first post, but I'm not new to the 69 Mach 1. I just purchased new upholstery and foam pads for my 69 Mach 1 front buckets. Can anyone give some tips on how to install the upholstery? I've made a couple of attempts, but really not sure how you attach the listing wires at the accent stripe area with hog rings.

Thanks

Phil

I bought the DI set and one auto upholstery guy I talked to claims that all the aftermarket stuff is crap. He says you really have to be ginger with the material and take your time fitting and pulling it in.

This guy sews up his own from leather or other quality materials. He is also very expensive. I guess you get what you pay for. My DI stuff looks pretty good despite his convictions. I can post up pics, they are black with red stripe mach 1 set

I bought the DI set and one auto upholstery guy I talked to claims that all the aftermarket stuff is crap. He says you really have to be ginger with the material and take your time fitting and pulling it in.

This guy sews up his own from leather or other quality materials. He is also very expensive. I guess you get what you pay for. My DI stuff looks pretty good despite his convictions. I can post up pics, they are black with red stripe mach 1 set

I bought the TMI sport seats and new foam and had a shop put them together. It was expensive but turned out very nice.

Thats what I'm banking on - should get mine back this weekend. Was expensive though. Costing me $400 to have done.

I bought the TMI sport seats and new foam and had a shop put them together. It was expensive but turned out very nice.

Thats what I'm banking on - should get mine back this weekend. Was expensive though. Costing me $400 to have done.

I can't speak to the difficulty of the stock seats and the TMI stuff but having done my own Fiero seat conversion with the Mr. Mikes kit I can say I would never pay anyone that much money to do this for me, a little time and patience along with some installation tips and it's really not that hard.