Sign in to follow this  
cmrmach1

Distinctive mach 1 upholstery tmi better

I can't speak to the difficulty of the stock seats and the TMI stuff but having done my own Fiero seat conversion with the Mr. Mikes kit I can say I would never pay anyone that much money to do this for me, a little time and patience along with some installation tips and it's really not that hard.

Got my seats back and defintely not too excited about the way they turned out. The guy that did them for me said once they stretch a little the wrinknles may come out - otherwise he said he could take them off and cut and resew. Since it is in the back won't be that noticeable but for the money expected better. Passenger seat a little better but similiar. I'm assuming it the materai and not the upholsterer but who knows. That the problem with this aftermarket stuff. Back seat came out nice.

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

Edited by PaleRider

Bought the TMI's and new seat foam buns as well. It was my first time doing upholstery and they turned out great. I admit was a bit of a battle working the skins over the new foam but persistence paid off. Just about needed a blood transfusion from being sliced up by those sharp little hog rings. Don't bother buying the listing wire kit; the wire used to make the rods is way too flimsy. I ended up using heavy gage wire coat hangers and they worked fine.

No velcro used anywhere.

My upholstery place showed me the listing wires they use. Theirs are much more stiff than the easily bent hanger wire. Dont know if it actually is a noticeable difference but there possibly could be some pleating.

Well at least the major wrinkling is in the back but I would expect more from a professional upholstery place, especially at that price. Adding some extra batting to those areas would have helped considerably but they probably only used exactly what you gave them and nothing more.

Well at least the major wrinkling is in the back but I would expect more from a professional upholstery place, especially at that price. Adding some extra batting to those areas would have helped considerably but they probably only used exactly what you gave them and nothing more.

A little surprised also. He put new burlap, refoamed the rear seat, filled and wired brushed and painted springs and tracks. So did a little more than I expected. He said he didnot like it either and could have fit better better but would have had to cut the fabric and resew.

Edited by PaleRider

Actually with a closer look it seems you have fairly easy access under those wrinkles, I would pick up a roll of batting at a fabric/hobby store and start working it up there with a ruler or paint stick, once you have some more volume under there like the center section has you should be able to work the wrinkles out with a heat gun and some slapping.

Actually with a closer look it seems you have fairly easy access under those wrinkles, I would pick up a roll of batting at a fabric/hobby store and start working it up there with a ruler or paint stick, once you have some more volume under there like the center section has you should be able to work the wrinkles out with a heat gun and some slapping.

I went all out and got the TMI covers as well as there new seat foam. I had a professional install them and they look good but it's going to take about 35 more years to get the seat foam squashed down a bit like my old seats were (LOL). And I have to admit, I also looked at the seats at Carlisle and tried them out. The ones at the show were more comfy than mine are now. I think the new foam makes them sit a little higher till you get them worn in.

I did the same and had a pro install them. I got the best seat foam I could and they still required a lot of shaving and trimming to get them right. The end result is perfect but it was a lot of work for the installer and a lot of money from me.

They look pretty good from the front. Looking more closely at the pic, it appears like perhaps the cover was pulled down too tight on the sides. Look where the I posted the arrows and see if the seams are pulled to where you can see the stitching. I noticed at the top it has some drooping shoulders. Perhaps building it up near the top and maybe releasing some tension at the bottom might be the key. Of course if the front side goes to hell you are on your own.

An example of what the top shoulders should look like:

69.70-mach-1-sport.jpg

Edited by miketyler

They look pretty good from the front. Looking more closely at the pic, it appears like perhaps the cover was pulled down too tight on the sides. Look where the I posted the arrows and see if the seams are pulled to where you can see the stitching. I noticed at the top it has some drooping shoulders. Perhaps building it up near the top and maybe releasing some tension at the bottom might be the key. Of course if the front side goes to hell you are on your own.

An example of what the top shoulders should look like:

69.70-mach-1-sport.jpg

Look how horrible the upper side bolster looks in that TMI pic though, all those wrinkles in the front are not worth it. I'd rather they be in the back personaly and that is probably what the upholster thought too.

Decided to take out out fronts and go to regular mach 1 seats and not sports version and reusing my old foam. The tmi sports seats sit too high. I tried keeping cinder blocks on seats this week as car sat in garage. Came down a little but definitely not comfortable. Feel like sitting too close and too high. I like the a lower seat. Plus not crazy with wrinkles - could live with that but all things together not happy with them. Just have to see if CJ will take back.

So wait, you are going to pull the skins back off and see if CJ will take them and the new foam back? Then get stock skins to cover up your old foam?

If so, lots of holes get put into the vinyl from the hog rings and usually tear and stretch some too, that is going to be a tough return. Before you dig into that too much you may just want to try to cut your losses, sell the seats as a set as is, maybe even partial trade with someone elses core.

Or, better than an old core, if you really want to sit a bit lower AND have more support and some bolsters then consider the Fiero conversion. The last set of Mach 1 style seat covers that I saw posted from Mr. Mikes looked pretty sweet.

I do upholstery work for a living..I just installed a set of Distinctive (And they said American made!!) seat covers for a guy last week I think they were a real nice fit, good soft vinyl material, he also got the foam buns for the front buckets they made a great install and looked nice. When I got a set of covers for my 69 mach1 I got the TMI covers, I thought the vinyl materials were a little stiff and I know I tore a seam or 2 installing them, this was 10 years ago so...thats my 2 cents

All,

This thread was a great read. Really appreciate the discussion above as I have this in front of me. Makes me appreciate more why I might want to pay to have this done.

Q1: Does anyone have an estimate for the total number of hours a pro might put into covering 2 front seats? I'd probably triple that if I was gonna try it myself.

Q2: Can you buy any covers with a fabric center section? I mean, I live in Houston, and it is freaking HOT and HUMID, and black vinyl is absolutely the LAST product I want to sit on in shorts! If I really want fabric on there, do I HAVE to go custom?

Thanks! J

Mr Mikes do look nice - was eyeing those before. I did not see anything on his site that have the comfort weave style the 69/70 have. really don't want to swap out back too. I've got a call into him.

Try contacting a user named Mace, I haven't seen him around in a while but he purchased a couple of yards of comfortweave last year and sent them to Mr. Mike to get his custom Mach style Fiero seat covers done with them, they came out pretty good. The seats required less than a yard so he had plenty left over.

Seat_Covers.sized.jpg