Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Tach's! Let's see'em (where they're mounted)...

Hey Guys,

Getting around to mounting my Autometer monster tach with shiftlight next weekend. Really would like to see where you guys are mounting yours.

I sat in the drivers seat this weekend and stared at the dash/column for a good half an hour (tach in hand) trying to find a functional spot that looked good and came up empty!

My original thought was on the column somewhere, but one side blocked the spedo, the other blocked the temp gauge, mount it low and I'd hit my knee on it. You get the idea.

Pics would be great!

The Autometer tach is a really nice tach (I used to work for Sunpro) but it's really targetted at drag racers. That's why it's big. The best place is on the column or atop the dash, neither of which is good on a '69 stang, unless it's at the strip. If you're building a driver, I'd really consider going with a 2.5"-3" tach without the shift light. Then you could strap it on the column and still see your gauges. Just my 2c

The Autometer tach is a really nice tach (I used to work for Sunpro) but it's really targetted at drag racers. That's why it's big. The best place is on the column or atop the dash, neither of which is good on a '69 stang, unless it's at the strip. If you're building a driver, I'd really consider going with a 2.5"-3" tach without the shift light. Then you could strap it on the column and still see your gauges. Just my 2c

It'll mostly be a driver, but I'm a dragracer by nature (and did so for most all of my "car" life). So there's something about that monster tach and seeing the glow of the shift light that really completes the experience for me! But... I've been wondering if i would have been happier with a smaller tach.

I've got this one already though, so i'm going to try and make it work. I'm actually quite worried someone will smash the window to steal it! You don't think about that stuff when you're 19, but i do at 30! Guess i'm getting old!

MAD N NC, thanks for the compliment! that hood tach is actually one for a 70 buick gs. i liked it a little better than the factory ford tach plus is was much cheaper. i believe it was around 260.00 or so on ebay.

i liked it better because it was not as tall. i had to take it apart and remove the BUICK from the center arm cover.

opie, that's a classy touch and I just might have to copy that, or a similar style. There are too many Buick guys around where I am - one of them would probably notice and pop it off in some parking lot. :whistling: