Sign in to follow this  
Moteaux

69 Mach 1 Project - Recent Progress

The 351W and 3spd manual are now out of the car. The TKO 600 is setting in a box in the shop floor waiting on the 393 Stroker. The engine compartment has been tidied up a bit, bead blasted and painted all the bolts, plastic looming to tidy up wiring. The accessory brackets have all been bead plasted and repainted. Hopefully the engine shows up this week and installation can begin.

Was about to put the gauges in and realized had wrong speedo cable. Quick call to Keisler and we will be trading. My fault for not mentioning the Autometer speedometer to get the right cable in the first place.

Sorry for pic quality, they came from my phone. For more on the complete process, there is a link in my sig line for all the pics.

Today, put the headers on the old engine and set in place and began mocking up the Magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust. Looks like a great fit even with rear end lowered 2.5 inches.

Waiting on engine and parts now....:whistling:

The 393 never came due to deadbeat builder. On the plus side, I got a 408 done in one month and have set it in the car. I get back from Bolivia in 2 weeks and hope to hear it run then.

A few pics attached.

Now I have a problem. I intended to use the matching oval air cleaner (match valve covers) but with the Typhoon manifold, it will not clear the hood. I am considering using a drop base, but I really have no idea what to choose for the 770 Holly vacuum secondary carburetor. Anyone have any experience or suggestion?

I really like how well you did on the engine bay, nice photos as well.

Thanks for the compliments. Am in the Lima, Peru airport on the way back home at the moment. A friend of mine has been working on the wiring the last 10 days while I am away. He says when I get back home, we should be ready to turn her over and see if she is going to run.:thumbup:

Well, the car is running, the exhaust is on and the alignment done. The 408 pulls hard. My big problem now is traction. I have waaaayy more motor than I have suspension. 1st gear medium acceleration lights up the tires, 2nd does the same thing. I am pretty certain that if I kept my foot in and went to 3rd it would be the same result:tongue_smilie:. I may not win any street races against another stout running car, but I may be able to just cower them into not racing with a display of burning rubber.:biggrin:

SMOKING HOT! REMINDS ME OF A SONG!

!ST GEAR IS ALRIGHT!

2ND GEAR IS ALRIGHT!

Thats the way I like my rides!!!

I forgot about that song... was it Jan & Dean or the Beach Boys? It's definitely fun to drive and puts a big cheesy grin across my face.

The 408 pulls hard. My big problem now is traction. I have waaaayy more motor than I have suspension. 1st gear medium acceleration lights up the tires, 2nd does the same thing. I am pretty certain that if I kept my foot in and went to 3rd it would be the same result:tongue_smilie:

Welcome to the club! Same problem with my 393. But it's a ball having that kinda power on tap :)

Moteaux, did you get your aircleaner thing figured out ? There is available an oval air cleaner that is about an inch wider and two inches shorter than the long oval that also fits the 2x4 setup. I think it is close size wize to what Maxum has in his signature pics. How about one of those, painted black crinkle to match the valve covers? You could cut a hole in the hood under the scoop for more vertical room if you needed it. Thats what I'm planning for mine. LSG

I did sort it. I went with a 14 inch base with 2.25 drop. I can now fit a 3 inch K&N and went with the Xtreme K&N top. If I ever take it to a car show where will be displayed, I will just carry the black crinkly oval with me and put it on while the hood is up.

Been working the last couple of days on installing the FAST EZ-EFI set up. Will have some pics to post of that in a couple of days.

Here are some photos of the FAST EZ-EFI install.

I could not really find a good place to install the fuel pump, so we had to make a bracket for it. It was bolted down through the trunk next to where the tank bolts in. See first 2 photos. The bracket was originally going to be an "L" shape and bolt to the lip near the tank, but I was afraid if there was much vibration, the bolts would wear in to the tank so another piece was added to the top.

The next photo is of the wideband O2 sensor welded in. Make sure to give it 10 degrees of inclination so that moisture does not collect on the tip.

The next pic is of the fuel sending unit. Mine was bad and not registering correctly, so it was swapped out at this time for a unit with a return line. A stock one could have been modified for return, but since I need a new one, I bourght it with it already installed.

Next, the fuel line supplied with the kit was ran, following most of the original routing as much as possible. New line was ran for return. Any place that there may be a chance of abrasion from vibrations was bolstered by covering with heater hose.

Also, a couple of pics with the throttle body and regulator in place.

Tomorrow, will finish installing the wiring harness. Just need to run to fan relay, install coolant sensor, and then wire to + & - on battery and to 12 volt switched.

Moteaux, the air filter element that I am thinking of is 11&1/2 long and 8&3/8ths wide, I think that filter, 4 inches tall, even in a flat housing will fit nicely if there is the right size hole cut in the hood, under the scoop. At least, thats the plan. I'm not quite there yet, and with all of the snow I have here, the stang is hybernating. LSG