Sign in to follow this  
Sidthing

Ethical Dilemma

So, years ago I was working in a machine shop and a regular customer calls in wanting to get rid of a 351 cleveland, I jumped on the deal and when I showed up at his house, there is a 69/70 fastback roof cut off at the base of the A pillars all the way back including the tops of the rear quarters. I wanted to puke. I asked what happened to the mustang the roof belonged to? He said he bought a 69 390 GT for a parts car. My dad had a 69 390 GT in the seventies and told me of the rarity. My nausia turned to anger, disbelief, disgust and many other emotions (I'm a pretty cold hearted dude, except when it comes to old Fords). He told me how he needed a fire wall for a 67 coupe, and he felt bad cutting this 69 up because of how good of shape it was in. I asked him what happened to the rest of the car, since the roof and firewall were accounted for. He said he only had a few parts left, most had been sold. He did have the complete interior, which happened to be a black deluxe interior with the red stripes, console, steering wheel and column. Now I was even more upset about the fate of this GT. I bought the interior, and the blower motor heat shield. He then pulled out a manilla envelope, and here is where the ethical dilemma for me comes in. In the envelope he had the title, windshield vin plate, the door tag, both vin stampings from the dog house, and the build sheet he said he found under the back seat. The mustang being a 69 390 GT fastback, had been optioned with acapulco blue with blacked out hood, wide ratio 4 speed, and deluxe interior. He was looking at the door tag and reading all the info from Mustangs by the Numbers. He read off production numbers and said, "Huh, maybe I shouldn't have parted out that car," nonchalantly. I bought all the contents of that envelope and have been sitting on it for almost ten years. What is the general consensis on rebodying a car.

Sounds like a good case for one of the new reproduction body shells. They are just a big replacement body part and a 390 GT would be worth it IMO. If you do go that route and you did decide to sell, then just be honest with the next owner. I would rather do that then buy a 6cyl fastback for example and change vin numbers, etc.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

Did you transfer the title to your name? If so, I would not have a problem transfering to one of the new repro bodies (might have to jump though some legal hoops) but not to another original 69 body.

Scince you at least have a title I don't think it would be too much of a problem getting it in your name. Some states will be easy so check around. You may be surprized at your own DMV. With a "bill of sale:shifty:" and 35 bucks they might just print you out a new one in your name. Worked for me.

In Ohio, you have to have the vin plate looked at with the title, and have a dmv official sign a piece of paper stating that the vin on the car and title match, and state the mileage. I had to have it done three times last year. I learned the hard way don't tell them everything. On two of the cars I had new engines and transmissions put in, so I rolled the odometers back to zero for my own ease of scheduled maintenance. I had to do some serious back peddling when I mentioned rolled odometers. It was my own stupid fault, I didn't think they'd care on 45 year old cars.

I agree this is a perfect situation for a Dynacorn body, not a swap on an orignal though.

The only snag I see is we don't know if the title is clean or not really since you didn't get it from the person last issued to. For all we know the real reason the alleged moron would take a cowl from a 69 GT Sportsroof for just a 67 coupe could be that the GT was hot.

Since it seems that you can't transfer without an intact car it would be a shame to build it just to find out it's not really yours. Isn't there a way that you can go to the DMV with the VIN and claim you are thinking of buying this car and you want to make sure the VIN is clean? Then at leats if you built it from a Dynacorn and they won't transfer the title or give you issue you can still register it as a new car and not be out the investment. It doesn't get you the GT you want but at leats you don't go broke, end up in jail or both.

I agree with Pakrat, I have a friend in the Insurance business and they just claimed a Hemi Cuda a guy just registered that was stolen 30 years ago, he lost the car, as the victim was paid out at the time, and the insurance company owns the car when it is located. Just do your homework, speak to some cops who are into classic cars, they can provide you some good advice. As for dealing with your DMV, sometimes it depends upon who is working, go to your local car club and ask around, some employees are not as tight as others. Here in Canada, the car has to have a motor in the car for me to register it. I had to track down to previous owners and through the magic of the Internet had them write me emails explaining who they had sold the car two, etc, and thereby completing the chain of ownership with previous bills of sale.

As for the car, the dynacore bodies look great, but are expensive. If you know of a donor body, preferrable with no VIN attached, I have no qualms about rebuilding your GT, just be up front and transparent. There are alot of different opinions on this subject, so do what is right for you.

Good Luck

Bill from Canada

The thing about Ohio cars is that you have to have VIN's not only for your car, but the cars you have taken parts from. (To prevent 'hacking'.) So, maybe you can get a Dynacorn body, use the old VIN as a parts car(after a title search, 'natch) and see how you can switch the VIN over from that point.

So, do a title search, see if it's hot, then go from there.

Best of luck.

The thing about Ohio cars is that you have to have VIN's not only for your car, but the cars you have taken parts from. (To prevent 'hacking'.) So, maybe you can get a Dynacorn body, use the old VIN as a parts car(after a title search, 'natch) and see how you can switch the VIN over from that point.

So, do a title search, see if it's hot, then go from there.

Best of luck.

I think they only do the thorough inspection on a car with a salvage title. Maybe since the "car" has been "off the road" for some time he may have to get that inspection done as well, but it's doubtful.

As for VIN swapping, I'd rather see a rebody than a heavily rotted out shell get stitched back together. Think about what would be safer to drive in?