Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

What the hell!? Pink gas?

Hi guys. Don't know where to begin. I had this GT coupe running pretty sweet for about 10 minutes, then today when I took it for its first "real" drive, I started hearing all kinds of pinging, clicking, and other terrible noises keeping time with the RPMs.

I started messing around (checking the gap, timing) and wondering about sticky lifters and that kind of thing.

I eventually noticed my fuel filter (its the see-through glass kind) and saw a lot of pink-ish chum stuck to the filter. I took the fuel line off of the carb and had the boy crank it to get a good sample. I took a picture of the fuel that came out of the fuel line to the carb:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff#5380087145475038994

This can't be good, right? It looks like kool-aid. I took another picture of gas from the same run to the station I kept in another 5 gal drum:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff#5380087142212054626

Note this car sat for 20 years. I had the tank professionally boiled out at a radiator shop. The dude said he "sealed it" as well (for free, like that was a good thing) and now I'm wondering if that could cause this.

I cranked the fuel pump for about a minute and the fuel came out this pink the entire time, so I have to believe this isn't just random crud in my fuel lines and that it has to be coming from the tank.

Can a sealed tank cause this? Could this fuel explain the horrendous popping and wheezing and metallic clanking the engine was making?

What the heck has happened here?

Thanks,

Tom

E85? maybe even E10? Metallic clanking could be pinging or detonation. Bad fuel, or these new mixes of E85 or (who knows what your buying now in fuel) would cause all kinds of problems with a car not tuned for it. It could also very well be some kind of sealer they put in the tank. May clear up after a while or you just might be better off and buy a new tank.

I'm going to try running the car from an external tank later today and see if that clears things up. The engine is running really bad and I am concerned about doing damage to it at this rate.

For what it's worth, I installed the boiled out tank about 2 weeks ago, put 5 Gal of fresh gas in it and that's it...no stabilizers, no STP, no octane boost, nothing. I've started the car off and on over those 2 weeks to flush the cooling system and stuff like that. It has always ran really good.

Just yesterday when I took it for it's maiden cruise, the pinging started about 30 seconds into the drive and got progressively worse.

I'm thinking the "sealer" they used must be dissolving/mixing with the fuel?

If this is the case, I'll be really sorry I didn't just buy a new tank (with a drain plug!).

Tom

Hello Tom,

Sorry to hear the trouble. I have never seen anything like it. Almost has to be from the tank sealer. At first when you said pinkish, I was thinking rust in the steel line. After seeing the color I am stumped.

The other pix is the same gas? Are you sure they didn't put diesel fuel in her?

I would not run the car until you find out.

If you don't have a drain, you van disconnect the line that feesa the fuel pump and create a vacuum there using a small hand pump. Then allow to run into a container.

I really don;t know what to advise but this can't be healthy gas. That would explain the pinging and stuff.

I'll keep thinking..... Print Dad

Thanks Print Dad. The gas in the other picture is from one of two 5-gal cans I filled that day. I put 5 gal into the car a couple of weeks ago and left the other as "reserve".

When I was getting ready to start the car for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I cranked the engine until fuel reached the filter and it was clear. It ran just fine during several short runs to flush the cooling system, etc. I haven't put a thing into the tank since then.

I found some vague reference online when Googling that indicated that crappy sealer products leak red dye, but it was only one reference. At this point, I can only assume it's the tank. The car has been in my garage since I bought it, so no chance some hooligan messed with it.

I'll flush out the pink gas from the fuel line and try a separate tank. If that makes things good, I'll take out the tank and bring it the radiator shop for a refund and buy a new tank.

The fuel really is as red/pink as the picture shows. I was amazed.

Tom

Yeah, I'd be throwing the tank through that dudes front window.:scared:

Seriously, wtf did he do to it? Disconnect the line from the tank and confirm that the fuel in the tank is pink.

Then put the line in a clean bucket of fuel. Disconnect the line from the carb and then pump all that crap out of your lines and pump. I'd even drain the carb bowls. Gravity feed the pump from a can (w/o sealer:001_huh:) and see how she runs.

If you bought gas at the same place at the same time in two containers and only the one in the tank has turned pink then it is 100% a problem with the tank. I was suspicious the moment Tom eluded to the fact that they guy said he went ahead and sealed the tank for no extra charge. They F'd something up for sure, no doubt. I've got relatives that don't throw me freebies like that much less a guy with a type of business you may never need to use again. Light a match and look around in side, (J/K!!!!).

I don't know if it's just unique to this radiator shop, but I did find it odd that he sealed my tank when I specifically asked for it to be boiled out. I had taken a neighborhood friend's Chevy Luv tank along with me to be boiled out AND sealed, so possibly they just screwed up by sealing both, recognizing their error, and not charging me (and saying they threw it in to put the best face on it).

In any case, it didn't work out so good for me, so to anybody considering this service, my recommendation is to buy a new tank. Should have listened to the gang when I had the chance.

Tom

So how is the Luv tank working out? I would suspect the same issue, no?

Don't beat yourself up over it Tom, a lesson learned is a good thing and it wasn't that expensive of a one considering the hobby we are in.

With regard to the Luv tank...I told them about my experience obviously, but it doesn't have the engine in yet, so no hurry. I suggested they put fuel in the tank now, let it marinade for a week or so, and see what comes out. They are fair warned.

I think their tank was done on a different day than mine, so it's possible the prep process for mine was the culprit ultimately. I'm crossing fingers that this little fiasco won't have far-reaching effects. Didn't get anything done this weekend (another Auburn, CA fire popped up after the terrible one a couple weeks ago that wiped out a whole neighborhood) and the power was out for many hours.

Happy Monday, y'all.

Tom