Sign in to follow this  
Surf Ghost302

first project

Hey all.. just found the site and i need some help with finding parts and restoring my stang so i thought i would toss my past and current pics up. Im putting the engine in this Saturday and starting it for the first time in over 20 years :D

first day

m_c3c468528b4cd0f71316bee1bde78dd2.jpg

today

SANY0294.jpg

SANY0295.jpg

SANY0296.jpg

SANY0297.jpg

SANY0298.jpg

SANY0300.jpg

SANY0302.jpg

SANY0301.jpg

SANY0303.jpg

Welcome aboard! Looks like a great project car. My car sat from about 1988 to 2006 between starts so I know what a great feeling it is when that old power plant roars back to life (well, old but rebuilt :). Keep us posted

thanks. Im not going to deep into it right now, cant afford it. As long as i get rid of all the rust ill be happy for now, getting it running is pretty much my goal at the moment. after that i can piece it together over the next few months.

Does anyone have a 2bbl Carburetor for the small black 302. i was going to get it from advance auto for $109 but they don't carry them anymore and i don't feel like spending 250+ online or NAPA. anyone have an extra one i can buy?

hey welcome, looks like a good project, one thing i see that obviously needs to be addressed is the drivers side shock tower, that is one ugly ass, F'd up repair job there. if you did the work than i apologize if i sound rude or anything but that tower needs major work. it might be ok for a while but i wouldn't trust it for a road trip and even driving it around town, i'd inspect it regularly.

i may have a later model 2v carb but it will definitely need a rebuild for sure

hey welcome, looks like a good project, one thing i see that obviously needs to be addressed is the drivers side shock tower, that is one ugly ass, F'd up repair job there. if you did the work than i apologize if i sound rude or anything but that tower needs major work. it might be ok for a while but i wouldn't trust it for a road trip and even driving it around town, i'd inspect it regularly.

i may have a later model 2v carb but it will definitely need a rebuild for sure

Hey thanks, its definitely been an interesting project.

yea it was like that when i got it. I think it was repaired back in 85, but it definitely needs done, i agree. that whole side has been giving me alot of problems lol.

yea that was just a quick coat as you can tell by the horrible drip marks lol. there was alot of rust and i didnt want to leave metal unprotected like that after i sanded it down. i might just buy that whole side new since i have the engine out.. just so i dont have to worry about it again.. i dunno.

You're going back to the old 2bbl? I think I still have my old gunked up OEM under a pile of tires ... would definately need some TLC.

im just trying to keep it original... im not tuning this car for performance. my next rebuild will be performance but this one has sentimental meaning to me.

FINALLY got it started.... hears the vid

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=59479283

the quality sucks and the sounds is NOTHING compared to what it sounds like... when i get it back to my garage Friday ill see if i can get a better vid.... here are some progress pics too

BTW... does anyone know where i can get the wiring schematics for the ignition wiring for a 69 mustang?

I ended buying a new starter, carburator, cylanoid(Sp),coil, spark plugs, fuel pump, and a few more odds and ends... and now after all that.. i finally got it started.. BUT since the fuel line has been sitting for 20 years... its clogged with dirt and i have no clue what condition the tank is in... so i get to play with that Friday... it starts though..

save yourself some hassle on the fuel system and just buy a new gas tank, you can get a complete kit with tank and sending unit for about $100 on ebay.

+1 on that advice. I thought because my car was undercoated by the dealer that my tank was good. At least it looked real good. I spent the better part of a weekend removing the undercoating and wire-brushing the tank until it looked real pretty only to find pinholes in it at the tank's lowest point. Rust from the inside-out. I scrapped the whole thing and replaced it.

Same advice goes for radiators, heater cores, brake lines, fuel lines ... don't mess around with 40 year old metal, it's gonna fail, it's not a matter of "if", only "when"...

+1 on that advice. I thought because my car was undercoated by the dealer that my tank was good. At least it looked real good. I spent the better part of a weekend removing the undercoating and wire-brushing the tank until it looked real pretty only to find pinholes in it at the tank's lowest point. Rust from the inside-out. I scrapped the whole thing and replaced it.

Same advice goes for radiators, heater cores, brake lines, fuel lines ... don't mess around with 40 year old metal, it's gonna fail, it's not a matter of "if", only "when"...

i actually prefer to have my radiators re-cored, because the the new cores have larger tubes than the repro radiators and they cool better

It is nice seeing more prople building the Coupes. Alot of people look down on the Coupes because it is not a Vert or a Fastback. I like the Coupes. The one in my sig pic is my 4th. I have had 1-70, 1-69, 1-68 GT, & my current 69. I like the looks of the 69 the best.