Sign in to follow this  
Justafordguy

Another Tire Question

Mine does the same thing. Added the bump steer kit and realigned. Still does it. Is rack and pinion the only way to get ride of it?

ps I have 245x45x17's

Edited by 69again
added tire size

Mine does the same thing. Added the bump steer kit and realigned. Still does it. Is rack and pinion the only way to get ride of it?

ps I have 245x45x17's

Edited by 69again
added tire size

I had a rack on mine and it still did it. I recently installed an integrated power steering gearbox and it also made no difference. There is no play in the steering and the car drives very well on a good road. It only darts around on very rough road. The only thing I can think of is the wide tires are catching the ruts. I am at a loss at this point.

I had a rack on mine and it still did it. I recently installed an integrated power steering gearbox and it also made no difference. There is no play in the steering and the car drives very well on a good road. It only darts around on very rough road. The only thing I can think of is the wide tires are catching the ruts. I am at a loss at this point.

I think 245 is the most rubber I would ever want up front, just for the sake of parking lot turning alone, it's right at home on an 8", not sure how well it fits a 9" though. How about the front sway bar, is that larger than stock yet? I would think that would help some but I do believe a lot of the issue is in those tires. Do you know anyone with the same lug pattern that can let you just try their wheels for a quick ride? Even if they were a stockish 225/75/14 it would at the very least either eliminate it as a suspect or point the finger at it more directly.

From what you are describing it sounds like Tramlining.

Here is a quote from tirerack on the issue:

"The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It's name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks."

Here is the link to the article and it has some things you can do to help correct the issue.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

I think 245 is the most rubber I would ever want up front, just for the sake of parking lot turning alone, it's right at home on an 8", not sure how well it fits a 9" though. How about the front sway bar, is that larger than stock yet? I would think that would help some but I do believe a lot of the issue is in those tires. Do you know anyone with the same lug pattern that can let you just try their wheels for a quick ride? Even if they were a stockish 225/75/14 it would at the very least either eliminate it as a suspect or point the finger at it more directly.

I do have a new larger front sway bar with urethane bushings and also a rear sway bar. It didn't seem to help this problem but did help body roll in a corner. I think you may be right about the tires. I'll have to beg someone to let me borrow some tires. I wonder how I can find out about the best size for the 9" rims?

From what you are describing it sounds like Tramlining.

Here is a quote from tirerack on the issue:

"The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It's name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks."

Here is the link to the article and it has some things you can do to help correct the issue.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Wow, this really does sound like my problem. I think my wide low profile tires are what is killing my handling. All this time I thought the performance tires were supposed to help handling.

Wow, this really does sound like my problem. I think my wide low profile tires are what is killing my handling. All this time I thought the performance tires were supposed to help handling.

A lot of times when you upgrade one thing you find other componets need work! On my 69 stang I replaced all serviceable parts (bushings, new ball joints, ect) and it made a huge improvement in handling. Also with the drop your suspension geometry changes, so the car needs to have a custom alignment. I would print out these alignment specs and find a good shop. On a 1” Shelby drop that is street driven you want to run:

1/8" toe

0 to -.5 camber

+1.5 to +2.5 caster

All parts are new and many upgraded. I have had two different shops align the car. I got these specs from Marlon Mitchell, Owner of Marlo's Frame & Alignment. He is an early Ford expert.

Camber

Left: 1/2 Degree Negative

Right: 1/2 Degree Negative

Caster

Left: 2 Degrees Positive

Right: 2 1/2 Degrees Positive

(note) caster may vary a little from side to side to get the car

to track straight, the caster numbers listed is the minimum

starting point

Toe-In

Overall: 1/8” Toe-In

Also unless I can find some different springs I can't run the Shelby drop because it lowered my car too much and my tires rubbed the fenders.

I do have a new larger front sway bar with urethane bushings and also a rear sway bar. It didn't seem to help this problem but did help body roll in a corner. I think you may be right about the tires. I'll have to beg someone to let me borrow some tires. I wonder how I can find out about the best size for the 9" rims?

I had posted links to a variety of online tire calculators a while back but I can't seem to find them right now. I did a little looking online though and it would seem a 245 tire is actually the recomended ideal width for a 9" rim and you can up as high as 295 but it bulges a little so your fine and could even go down as low as a 235 if you had too but that's about the limit.

Reading this I recall the same exact issue when I first drove my 1985 Corvette. The car was shod with 255/50/16s on front and back, and (as you can imagine for a Corvette) the sway bar was huge, bushings solid, and steering very tight. But, the car wandered all over, following the road ruts. One test you can try to confimr this is the issue is to compare by driving on pavement and concrete. The pavement will rut, whereas concrete (unless it is REALLY old) will not. I suspect you will notice little or no wandering on concrete.

On a positive note, the issue diminished as the tires wore down a bit. Or I got so used to it I no longer even noticed.

Reading this I recall the same exact issue when I first drove my 1985 Corvette. The car was shod with 255/50/16s on front and back, and (as you can imagine for a Corvette) the sway bar was huge, bushings solid, and steering very tight. But, the car wandered all over, following the road ruts. One test you can try to confimr this is the issue is to compare by driving on pavement and concrete. The pavement will rut, whereas concrete (unless it is REALLY old) will not. I suspect you will notice little or no wandering on concrete.

On a positive note, the issue diminished as the tires wore down a bit. Or I got so used to it I no longer even noticed.

I really have no concrete roads around here to try but I have tried a few new pavement roads. It drives perfectly straight and handles great on a good road. I guess I'll try to get a set of 245 or 235 tires and see if it helps. I hate to waste these new 275's but I guess I could put them on ebay or save them for the back of my Fox mustang.

Justafordguy,

I have 245's on the front and 295's on the back of mine and it does it as well. Pretty scarry on the rough roads. Might want to borrow some tires before you make the purchase.

Dan

Well guys I borrowed a old set of 225's from my brother off an SN95. I am totally shocked. I never thought that tires could make such a difference. My car drives totally straight even on the roughest roads. I drove it for about an hour and I still can't believe the difference. I can even drive with one hand now.

Now I just need to find some type of tire that will fit on my 17x9 wheels. I wonder if I could run a 225 on the 9" wheels?

That first link that Grendi posted was one of the ones I was looking for and according to that they won't even let you put anything less than a 235 on a 9" rim and with good reason, at that width it is barely flush with the rim lip so if you can even find it looks like about a 235/50/17 is the narrowest you can go on that 9", I wouldn't expect much difference than the 225 you test piloted but I still think you would be better off with something like a 245/45 tire even if you sacrafice a little of that handling back.