Sign in to follow this  
69gmachine

Mustangs Across America

Well I finally signed up yesterday. The tour leaves Las Vegas on April 11, arrives in Birmingham for the 45th Anniversary celebration on April 16 with stops in Holbrook AZ, Santa Rosa NM, Mustang OK, and Bosier City LA along the way. I'll probably have to drive all the way out there, only to turn around and drive back, but hey it's a driving vacation! I have two options: 1) drive to Dallas, drop off my car with my brother or a friend. Fly back home and rest up, then fly back a few days before the Tour takes off on April 11. This is a little chancey as I would have to get airline tickets soon using frequent flyer miles, and I have to leave my car with someone else (scary). Option 2) Caravan out there with a small group of people leaving from the DC area. Option 2 is simpler, but man that's a LOT of driving.

Cool -Sounds like quite an adventure. I will have to try to track you down at Mustang, OK event (as a spectator only unfortunately). I haven't seen the date for that meet yet. Such a nice build you have there.

Edit: Unrelated to thread but what was your final hyd solution / mount for the Tremec?

I still have to fab a mount on the trans for my slave cylinder someday.

-Stephen

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what all they have planned at each stop, but I hope you make it out to see us. There are almost 600 cars registered now!

I designed a bracket that mounts a CNC slave cylinder that pushes on a lever arm with a 1.7 to one ratio. The mounting bracket bolts to the transmission case ears on the driver's side and has an arm that pivots at the bottom. You can see it installed on the my cardomain site, although it's a little hard to see with the headers in the way.

Edited by 69gmachine

Good fun with the road trip! You'll be meeting 20-30 guys from the Mustang Club of Denmark.

I was going to drive the first 2 days too, but the car wont be out of paint it seems.

Cool! It's hard to believe how many people are coming from overseas. I assume the Denmark club is shipping their cars here? Are they mostly vintage cars or late model? Sorry you won't be able to make it.

I just saw the cardomain site and your wheels.I would like those wheels on my car can you tell me what it takes to make them work on your car.

The front wheels are Ford '03-04 Mach1 wheels with a 1/2" spacer on Wilwood alum hubs. The rear are 03-04 Mach1 replica wheel, 17x9 bolt on as is, no spacer required. I rolled the fender lips both front and rear.

I'm working on a new spindle for the front that will allow me to use the 17x9 wheels on the front (and improve the turn radius with my r&p). When I do that I plan on using the 17x10.5 replica wheels on the rear, although I've only found them in the Torque Thrust style like came on the Bullitt in that size. Again, they bolt on with no spacers.

AFS made a 10.5 in the Mach 1 style rim but they discontinued making them.

You can still find them occasionally on E-bay and http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8, but they are not cheap when you can find them. I'll be at the

45th show but couldn't swing the MAA drive even though I would have really liked to.

AFS made a 10.5 in the Mach 1 style rim but they discontinued making them.

You can still find them occasionally on E-bay and http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8, but they are not cheap when you can find them. I'll be at the

45th show but couldn't swing the MAA drive even though I would have really liked to.

Wonderful! I haven't seen them come up on ebay, but I normally only search on 69 and 70 stuff. I'd really like to stick with the Mach1 design rather than switch over.

I'm shipping my car out and using frequent flyer miles to meet it in 'Vegas. I had given up on being able to make the MAA and then things just fell into place recently.

I'm checking off my list of things to do:

1) front end has been aligned

2) new front tires arrived from Tire Rack, still need to be mounted and balanced

3) ordered new '70 style gas tank for better range. CJ pony parts has Friday specials, too good to pass up!

4) cracked front windshield attempting to replace rear view mirror (D'oh!) have new spare in basement, will schedule replacement this coming week (I don't have time to do it myself)

5) ordered a CB radio and magnetic mount antenna to stay in contact with the caravan.

6) put fresh gear oil in rear end. I don't think I've changed it since '97!

7) Download music to cellphone (Dare) to play during trip. I don't expect to get much if any reception through the desert, most of the Texas panhandle and much of Oklahoma.

I live in Las Vegas and although I can't participate in the drive. I can offer my help or tools if anyone needs them while in town.

Perry

Thanks, that's a very kind offer. I hope I don't need to take you up on it though!

I thought someone might need directions, local info. the highway construction is ongoing around here. In April the weather will be warm. So anything I can do. I live about 6 miles from Shelby's place, so I'll make down for the start.

The trip was incredible! We drove on old Route 66 where it was practical, and much of I-40 is what used to be Route 66. I met many interesting people from all over the world.

Below are a couple of pics.

23871560057_large.jpg

23871560054_large.jpg

Go to page 8 of my Cardomain site in the link below to view all of my vacation pics.

The trip was incredible! We drove on old Route 66 where it was practical, and much of I-40 is what used to be Route 66. I met many interesting people from all over the world.

Below are a couple of pics.

23871560057_large.jpg

23871560054_large.jpg

Go to page 8 of my Cardomain site in the link below to view all of my vacation pics.

Looked at the pictures from your Cardomain site, and looks like Mother Nature threw a little bit of everything at you! Great pictures, and a very tastefully done pro touring Mach I. Wish I could have joined in the fun. I plan to do the 50th for sure.

Mike

Looked at the pictures from your Cardomain site, and looks like Mother Nature threw a little bit of everything at you! Great pictures, and a very tastefully done pro touring Mach I. Wish I could have joined in the fun. I plan to do the 50th for sure.

Mike

Mike

Thanks, and I look forward to cruising with you in 2014!

Mike

Thanks, and I look forward to cruising with you in 2014!

does this pass though Kansas at all?

Nope, at least not this time. The route could be different for the 50th. The MCA seems to really like Barber Motorsports Park, and so do I; a beautiful race track, plenty of space, plenty of nearby hotels and restaurants. I hope to go back. They could change the start location of MAA, but I doubt it.