Sign in to follow this  
stangme428

solid or urethane motor mounts

OK, motor mounts to hold 500hp/500tq stroked 408 clevor... I want to drive without my teeth rattling. so I would think solid mounts are out, but I have never owned or driven a car with solid mounts. will the urethane mounts hold up? This is a street car with hopefully some autocross later in its life.

what motor mounts are you performance guys running?

dragpack69 thanks for the input...

after more research it looks like most are going with urethane. so ill try some and see what happens.

but would still be interesting to see what most here are using...

OK, motor mounts to hold 500hp/500tq stroked 408 clevor... I want to drive without my teeth rattling. so I would think solid mounts are out, but I have never owned or driven a car with solid mounts. will the urethane mounts hold up? This is a street car with hopefully some autocross later in its life.

what motor mounts are you performance guys running?

What I did was drill a 3/8" hole through the driver side motor mount and put galvanized pan head bolt in it with the pan head on the underside so as to minimize interference with the frame side mount. I used a large drill bit to provide a recess for the bolt head to sit in on the frame side. This allows the rubber to provide isolation, but the bolt won't let it separate. My 408 dynoed at 537HP @ 5800 rpm. I'll never hit that RPM on the street, and I haven't taken it to the track yet, but I have had quite a bit of fun already:tongue:. I'm waiting until I get the roll bar welded in before I stomp on it at a drag strip.

I started with standard mounts and the motor was lifting under load with rock and roll at idle i only have minimum clearance under the scoop and minimal side clearance so i made a U bolt clamp to hold the LHS together since then fitted mounts from TCP (Total Control Products) which are allmost solid with PU bush with a bolt thru with spacers either side allowed me to position the motor for side clearance and front to back i have driven the car without the scoop on and watched the top of the air cleaner under load and it sits rock solid and not a noticeable difference vibration or noise. my headers were already made and was min clearance on L H mount the heat was a little to much and it dropped with the pipe contacting the mount so i replaced the PU bushes on this side with aluminium. i am also run a P U mount at the rear. now with one side solid i only notice a slight vibration at high speed when backing off maybe the exhaust reverberatig back but really no real difference normal driving, been to the track and i am happy with the way mine is set up now.

wow more options that i thought ...

look at a set of Lakewood "Muscle Mounts" they use a higher durometer rubber and are an interlocking design so they won't seperate but they look totally stock.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=LAK%2D24094&N=700+400272+4294861902+4294908331+4294925082+4294908282+115&autoview=sku

Those are the way to go, we use some Shumacher ones just like them on the high performance Mopars and they're great, the cushion of a stock mount with the hold of a solid. even though my 390 Mach 1 isn't going to be a fire breather I'm going to use them just so I don't have to worry about it.

+1 on the Lakewood mounts. Not much vibration transmitted and very solid. PU motor mounts are a close second.

On a side note, stay away from the PU tranny mounts, you dont need it and they'll transmit a lot of vibration if your driveshaft etc. is not completely in balance.

thanks for the input everyone.. much appreciated!! :biggrin:

+1 on the Lakewood mounts. Not much vibration transmitted and very solid. PU motor mounts are a close second.

On a side note, stay away from the PU tranny mounts, you dont need it and they'll transmit a lot of vibration if your driveshaft etc. is not completely in balance.

I run stock mounts and I have somewhere in the ballpark of 400hp and 440 ft tq. My car is auto so it's probably not as hard on the mounts, but I do beat the hell out of my car and I haven't snapped them yet.