Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

Air Conditioner Help

Okay, my wife threw the guantlet down and demanded that if I expect her to visit car shows with me this coming summer, I need to get hot on installing A/C. Awwh man....okay babe... whatever you want to feel comfortable....:shifty: hehehehe

Question: There are a lot of aftermarket kits out there, which one should I use and why?

CJ

MU

I'll throw in a response here to see what input we can get - I will be installing air conditioning this winter to replace what was taken out of the car by prior owner. Not sure I will find OEM stuff - but I have been referred to a company called Classic Auto Air (http://www.classicautoair.com/69_70_Mustang_Cougar_Air_Conditioning_Ford_Mercury_AC.html).

Hope that's a start

Dick

Check out http://www.vintageair.com 69-70 Mustang Gen IV SureFit all electronic operation system. 69-70 Non-Factory Air and Factory Air Kits available. This system is much like a late model OEM type sytem. It has seperate A/C and Heater Coils, Blend Positions - Between dash and floor and Between floor and defrost. It utilizes the factory controls, no cables. You convert controls using electronic slide potintiometers.

Bringing this old thread back to the top!

My '69 "resto-mod" project is a non-air conditioned Mustang but I am going to add a system.

I would appreciate any inputs as to how well the after market ones (Vintage, Classic, ?) work and any "lessons learned" that anybody might be willing to share.

Thanks!

BT

I like r134 and would recommend using the Sanden style compressor along with a true flow parallel condenser. Assuming the oem AC condenser box will mount up is one thing but wiring may present challenges. This is where the aftermarket solutions will have benefit.

Edited by miketyler

I actually have access to the OEM parts for a system but was thinking that the after market ones might be better suited for my purposes (Resto-Mod).

I know there have been a LOT of advances in AC technology over the last 43 years, as there has been with other "parts" in our cars. I am trying to determine what "real world" experiences are with the after market units. I am looking at trying to keep a relatively stock appearance but my '69 Mach 1 will NOT be a "show" car, by any means. LOL

So, for you who have installed an after market AC, I would appreciate any inputs you might be able to provide.

Thanks!

BT

I havent done it in my Mustang but have bought the parts to do it. I have done it on my Cuda and kept all the internal parts in the cabin but changed everything from the firewall forward to current technology R134. I custom made my own brackets that would allow me to run dual belts like the original AC in the Cuda and it turned out great and performs well.

On the Mustang I have already gone thru and rebuilt the inside airbox and have cleaned up the controls to like new condition. I purchased a polished Sanden compressor, the VintageAir hose kit (includes hoses, fittings, and new dryer), a universal high flow condensor coil, and the VintageAir compressor mount kit for 351C. Their mount looks great, better than the York-to-Sanden plate that retains all the OEM brackets. I think I have posted pics of it around here somewhere. I still need to order a low pressure and thermostat switch.

There is a shop out in the greater Houston area called Vintage Upgrades. They specialize in classic Mustangs. A similar question about which aftermarket A/C installed well in what years was asked over on VMF. Vintage Upgrades chimed in and said that the Vintage Air (Gen IV with all electronic controls) was the best fit (with or without A/C dash) and made for the easiest installation.

From what I've seen of the kit, it is 100% complete. It is comparable in price to the other two major choices (Old Air Products and Classic Auto Air).

Here is a link to a Mustang Monthly install of a VA system into a 69.

If you include the cost of the replacement blower switch (not included in the kit, part number 110069, cost ~$50), the VA kit should cost you just less than $1400 plus shipping.

From my limited research, this system seems to be the best way to go for a 69/70.

Chuck

There is a shop out in the greater Houston area called Vintage Upgrades. They specialize in classic Mustangs. A similar question about which aftermarket A/C installed well in what years was asked over on VMF. Vintage Upgrades chimed in and said that the Vintage Air (Gen IV with all electronic controls) was the best fit (with or without A/C dash) and made for the easiest installation.

From what I've seen of the kit, it is 100% complete. It is comparable in price to the other two major choices (Old Air Products and Classic Auto Air).

Here is a link to a Mustang Monthly install of a VA system into a 69.

If you include the cost of the replacement blower switch (not included in the kit, part number 110069, cost ~$50), the VA kit should cost you just less than $1400 plus shipping.

From my limited research, this system seems to be the best way to go for a 69/70.

Chuck

GREAT article, Chuck!

That system certainly appears to be a very good approach.

THANKS!!

BT