Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69coupe

302 no start

Just wanted to say that I am happy to be hear. :laugh:

I recently purchased a 69 coupe with a 302. I bought it from a guy who said it ran when he bought it. Anyways after I brought it home I went to start it and it just backfired out the carb. I went to extreme messures. I bought a new distributor, cap and wires. I removed the timing chain cover and checked the timing marks. Crank mark was in 12 oclock position and cam was at 6 oclock position. I then set the distributor to #1. I pulled the valve covers off to make to sure it had the standard 302 firing order, By the opening and closing of the valves. Everything appeared to be OK. Still the same thing it just backfires out the carb. It is getting spark. Before I went to the extreme messures I set the distributor 180 degree out and all other positions I could think of and still no start.

A local shop told me to try a compression check. I dont think that it because I think it should at least turn over.

Is a 69 302 supposed to have the cam in the 6 oclock postion? So it might be 180 out.

Anyone have any ideas. What about the ignition wires??

Does the engine need rebuilt?

Couple things to look at:

How were the push rods? Will they all spin freely and look to be straight? When you were watching the rockers, do they all appear to have the same amount of travel up & down? How much play is in the timing chain?

Your cam timing is fine. The cam turns 1/2 speed of the crank so if you turn the motor over one more revolution, the timing marks will line up again. I would still do a compression check, you may have valves sticking and fuel charge is blowing back into the intake.

Is a 69 302 supposed to have the cam in the 6 oclock postion?

Yes spot on, the marks on the gears should be at the closest point to each other and form a straight line through the centre of the cam/crank.

I'd also check you camshaft lift, either by rotating the engine a full cycle and watching/measuring the lift at the rockers or lifters themselves. If all the ignition/camshaft timing is OK my guess would be a damaged (wiped) camshaft lobe/s.

Checking the lift would show if theres a damaged lobe without having to pull the cam.

Otherwise i'd also do a compression test to check the valve sealing.

Good Luck

Did the previous owner say that he had done any work to the car? Remember it takes Three things to make an engine run. Fuel,Spark and Compression. If no work had been done, pull the dizzy check the points,and rotor. Then put the engine at TDC and work from there. I hoping that you checked the fuel to make sure it's not skunked check the carb to see if it is gumed up. Hope this helps.

There was a reciept in the glove compartment from 2002 from a garage that the ignition wire was replace and work compleated then. So it was running in 2002.

The engine does have spark and the valves appeared to all go up and down. I did not have the intake off to check the rods.

I will be doing a compression check later this week, (valve problems ie:burnt or stuck) headgasket? Hear is what I think happened. The timing chain appeared new and appears to be an Elderbrock also the carb is Elderbrock dirty from the elements but clean inside w/an Elderbrock 289 perfomer intake. I think these items were added by someone years ago and after that the car never started again.

I read on the internet that a lean condiction will cause this problem like when a carb is changed out. Causing backfiring and no start condictions.

It does have points.

Will get pictures going when I get a chance.

Is there any chance that someone put a 351w cam in it wouldn't that change the timing order. That happened to me with a 351 I bought. I worked for day trying to get it not to pop through the carb. Then someone told me that someone down the line may have used a 302 cam in it. I used a 302 firing order..............and BAM.... it purrrrrrred like a kitten. Maybe this has hapenned to you.....It's worth tring before you tear your whole engine apart for nothing......

Crank the engine with the starter and sent the timing that way, this will at least get it where it should run for sure and you will know that timing is not the issue. It really sounds like a timing issue to me.

Dan