Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FallujahMedic

My NIGHTMARE @ Don Barry Mustang, JAX, FL

Let me tell you a story...........

On June 20th I dropped my '69 stang off @ Don Barry Mustang in Jacksonville, Fl. for some major body work (full quarter panels, full floor pans both sides, taillight panel, trunk drop offs, outer wheel wells, radiator support, battery apron, etc.) and to install and gap the new fenders, doors, hood and new trunk lid. It arrived media blasted and on a rotisserie, ready to be worked on. In addition I brought approx $5,000.00 in new parts to be used in the restoration. I was told that due to their backlog we were looking at a completion time of 4 months. Two months of waiting in line then 2 months of actual repair time. This was acceptable to me.

Being the taskmaster that I am, I contacted them approx every 3 to 4 weeks after the 2 month wait time for an update (in person and by phone). I was told time and time again that they hadn't gotten to it yet and then later on that their best "metal guy" from Hungary was having trouble getting back into the U.S.. This was important because they were waiting on him before starting work on my car. I was promised time and time again that "he'll be here next month". Finally, in December I called and asked for an update and I was told "we'll start work on your car in a week and a half". I told them that I would call back in 3 weeks and if nothing had been done then I was coming up to pick up my Refund (the deposit of $4,400.00 +/-) my Mustang ($5,000.00) and my Parts($5,000.00 +/-).

Well, Tuesday was 1 day short of the 3 week time period. My wife and I drove 50 miles to Don Barry Mustang and spoke to the foreman (I guess thats who he was as the boss wasn't there). He essentially said No, we haven't started on your car yet, but you're on the list. I said that this was unacceptable. They'd had my car, my parts and my money since June 20th and it was now January 2nd. I had been more than patient and flexible with them and now it was time to sever any more dealings with them. I told the foreman that I would be back the next day to pick up my car/parts/refund. Tuesday evening I received a call from the manager. He gave all kinds of excuses as to why nothing had been done, but mainly that his "ace" metal guy was out of the country. ( I hardly believe that a restoration shop hasn't done any metal work in over 6 months?). I told him that if he wanted to make things right he could prime and block sand the car to get it ready for paint. His response was I don't need the business that bad. At the end of the call I told him I was sorry, but they had wasted enough of my time and that I was coming up on Wednesday. He said that was fine, to give him a call before I came up so he could have things ready.

Wednesday 9:30 AM I placed the courtesy call to Don Barry Mustang and said that I would be up there in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours (around noon). The Foreman guy answered and complained that he had 3 guys call in sick this morning and that they we very busy in the shop and that if I came up anytime before 4PM he would not let me have the car. I asked what do you mean I can't have my car and he said I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU to take your car until after 4PM. I explained that I had to drive over 50 miles with a hired tow truck that I had to schedule in advance, but to no avail. I told him that if he prevented me from collecting my rightful property that I had no qualms with involving Law Enforcement. His response was WHATEVER!

We arrived at Don Barry Mustang at around 12:30 PM. My car was outside the shop as well as some of my parts. We backed the rollback up to my car and started to load it when Foreman guy says I don't know that this is your car. Mind you this is 1 of only 2 people I have dealt with this entire 6 month or so period, so he knew darn well it was my car. He said you can't have this car till you show me the title. Well, being financed I don't have the title yet, so I'll get the next best thing, proof of insurance. I called my insurance company and they were prepared to fax Foreman guy my proof of insurance. At this point he said oh, our fax just stopped working, I guess you'll just have to drive back home to get proof of ownership. I informed my Insurance representative of what was going on and explained that there was no work performed on the car so there was no "mechanics lein", the agent then said if they refuse to give your vehicle back we consider that GRAND THEFT. I asked about my parts and Foreman guy says WHAT PARTS? I pointed to my parts and he says, prove they're yours. At this point I was so exasperated I could scream. I informed him of what my insurance company said and he still told me I couldn't have my car and told me there were no parts here that belonged to me. Foreman guy finally got the manager on the phone and He too said what parts? Prove it's your car. I told him if that was his position then I would call the Police.

I called the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office in front of Foreman guy and explained my situation and how my insurance company considers this theft. They were courteous and professional and stated they would have someone on the way immediately. Now Foreman guy comes back outside and says You're Trespassing. You, your vehicle and the tow-truck have to leave our property.

After a short wait 2 JSO Officers arrived and I explained my situation. I gave them my tag number which they were able to run and get my VIN (proving ownership). I then showed them the Work Order for my vehicle which listed the work to be performed and the deposit paid. I then showed them my receipt from NPD listing the parts that were brought along with the car. The parts matched up exactly with the work to be performed.

The officers spoke with foreman guy for a bit, then came and got us (we were still off their property). We were told we could take the car, but said Foreman guy doesn't know what they were talking about when asked about the parts. The Parts that were outside "mysteriously" disappeared before the police arrived. I saw that they had hid the parts behind a rollup door and informed the officer. Foreman guy then says Oh those parts, those are our parts, you never brought any. I told the officers that my name was on the boxes and when they examined the boxes they found my name and shipping address from NPD.

At this point the officers felt lied to by Foreman guy and basically asked what kind of stunt he was trying to pull. They said that there Was enough evidence for an arrest on Grand Theft charges. I believe at this point the fire got too hot for foreman guy and he called the boss who finally made an appearance. After a verbal rundown of events from the officer the boss said everthing's his, he can take it. I got ALMOST EVERYTHING. You see, they used some of my parts on other cars that they were working on. I was cut a check for my refund, including credit for some parts that were missing, i found others missing when I got home so I'm still missing parts. I got my car loaded up on the Rollback and I got most of my parts.

I may have considered doing business with Don Barry Mustang in the future as everyone gets behind on occasion and all I had lost up until then was time and embarassment. I lost all respect for them when it took 2 armed police officers to return my rightfully owned property. I will never do business with them again and I will never recommend them to anyone!! There are many reputable shops out there, but following my NIGHTMARE , I DO NOT believe Don Barry MUSTANG is one of them!!

Damn.. what a total bummer and rip off. So sorry to hear you had to waste so much time, energy and emotions on something like that. All the more reason for me to try to do everything I can myself.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

How the heck do businesses like this stay in business. Geesh.. People need to grow up and own up to their mistake and move on. If the guy would have stood up and apologized and went on you MIGHT have even understood even if you wanted to have someone else do the work.<o:p></o:p>

Better luck next time I guess.

-Stephen<o:p></o:p>

Damn, dude.

Glad you finally got it resolved, and I know you are too.

How much are you still out in parts?

And here I was hatin' life cuz it took 4 weeks to get my block vatted and honed. I had it easy.

I'm missing my trunk drop offs, passenger toeboard and something else...can't remember, I have the list at home. I've been typing my account in between 911 calls, it took awhile:yes: .

Good News:

Yesterday after leaving DBM I took my Stang to another restoration shop where we sat down and discussed what I wanted in great detail. I will have the work performed for less than what DBM wanted to charge and to top it off they called me this evening with a progress report, the driver floorboard and toeboard had just been completed. Less than one day and they have done more work then DBM did in 6/7 months!!

wow man that sucks what they did to you i have heard simular horror stories from others its too bad people have to be like that

but its great that the new shop is actually making progress allready good luck and keep us posted

It's tough to find shops that want to work on our old cars. It makes this even worse that they are supposedly a Mustang shop. Good luck with your new shop and hope you get your car back in a timely manner.

That is just terrible! I hope it all works out for you with the new shop. Good luck! You need to post your experience on every mustang web sight there is so people know what kind of a loser this guy is........

Wow what a crazy ordeal, so much for them being a proffessional and reputable shop. Those guys seemed to do everything in their power not to get the work done and to frustrate you beyond belief. If it was me i think the cops would have showed up to arrest me for beating the guy senseless with a tireiron. Looks like this thread will be added to the vendor/product reviews in a week or so.

With that said im suprised that you had your npd paperwork with you etc. I wish you the best of luck with the new shop! Sounds like they are off to a good start already.

Wow. I'd certainly want to do something to "get even" a little........

The juvenile "flaming bag of dog shit" comes to mind.......or some terrible internet things I've heard people doing.

Nah, you got your car.......and they'll get it eventually. Karma is a wonderful/terrible thing.

While I certainly entertained the juvenile pranks and "Tire Iron Diplomacy" I opted for a better route, Honesty. As some of you may have already noticed, I have posted this same story on Here... of course, The Mustang Source, Stang Net and a copy has been sent to the Better Business Bureau.

The more mustang enthusiasts I can reach and tell my experience to, the better I will feel. My word means alot and when I recommend a friend to go somewhere for work, it relects on me. I do not want someone else to have to go through what I did. I wish someone had been able to steer me clear of them and I want be that person for someone else.

Thanks for the support guys, it means alot.

Wow, sorry to hear about your problems. DBM has been in business for years and I would have thought better of them. While I’ve personally never had any dealings with them I do know they’ve been around for years but I’d never really heard good or bad about them. Thanks for the honest story.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Keep us informed about your new “restorer†and how that works out. It may be worth a plug or two for them if it goes well.

Wow, FallujahMedic, that ticks me off and it's not even my car....or money! Man, I pray your situation continues to improve. I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I learned all sorts of lessons here.....especially if I ever think about letting somebody touch my ride. Stay positive man, it'll all be over and that pain will go away when your wheels are parked safely in your garage.

man I'm glad the shop that did my cars wasn't like that. in fact mine is about to go back for some touch up work and to correct a couple of things that weren't done to my standards, mostly just little stuff they didn't notice in the shop lighting, hech i didn't even notice them until the car came home adn was out in the sun. that said the shop did have my car for a little over 7 months however, they were using my car as filler work and gave me a really good deal on it too. some cars came and went while my car was there and they were charged twice or more what i was charged because they wanted it back sooner than i needed it, also this guy's main business is collision work as well, so when they were busy with collision stuff my car got back burnered which is why i got such a good deal on it.

Man, that is unbelievable, I'm so glad things are finally on a good path for you, you more than deserve it after all that. I am so thankful I found an honest and reliable body guy to fix my car and did not have to go thru this with unknown specialty shops. It may be taking me a couple years to complete becasue my car is fill in work to his normal accident repair business but it's worth it to have someone who listens to what you want and doesn't pull any monkey business on you.

Good luck going forward, I hope you end up with a killer ride at the end of the day!

Guest BottleFed70

That really sucks!!

I'm glad to hear that it looks like you arn't out too much more than your time and alot of frustration. Keep spreading the bad word!!

Your story reminds me alot of a guy that was posting about having problems with Henesy (the viper builder guys). Basically same scenario but much more money involved and he wasnt as lucky as you were when it came to getting car parts and money back.

Hopefully my car will be completely done by this time next year. I plan on taking it down to Silver Springs for the 14th annual Ford & Mustang roundup. When I do, I'd like to post a large sign with my experience on it. What better way to spread the word than by calling them out at a MAJOR event that they will probably attend.

BTW, I did cash the check successfully, cash is now in my account:clap:

That's really sad... I am a Jacksonville native..... and have done business with DBM since I was 14 years old. I've always trusted Donny... the original Don Barry's son.

I got "beat up" on a 1970 console in the early 1980's by the elder Barry... but always was treated well by Donny. In fact, they still have my wrecked and rusted 1970 Convertible from my high school days... it's in their "junk" yard.

If you don't mind me asking.. which shop is doing your work? I can't think of another Mustang restoration shop in Jax? Did you go to Orlando?

Good Luck!

Lance

I just joined the forum to chime in about DBM. I have a '66 that I wanted them to restore back in the early '90s. Well I thought all was well and on schedule, but then delays started happening (just like fallujamedic). The work went months over schedule and the final bill was over $5000 of what the original estimate was. Needless to say I was furious. No calls were ever made to me on updated prices/costs. We came to an agreement and I paid about $500 over the original estimate. After getting my car home, I found numerous issues that i wanted corrected, but were ignored. I ended up chalking it up as a loss. I would not recommend them at all.

Sorry to vent, but I haven't had a venue for this since it happened and I wanted to make sure no one else has those same problems.

As a warning to others, you may want to post your story on google groups or kijiji.com for your district, so that others are not caught in the same trap of lies and deceit that you were. Odds are that others have been harmed as well...