Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiwi John

Hi fellow Mustang guy's, I have just joined your forum.

The following is about me, sorry if it seems a bit I I I I me me me.

My name is John, I live in Canada.

I restored my current Mustang over the past 15 years, or more, to concours condition. Every nut, bolt, screw, clip, piece was massaged back to original condition or replaced with new parts by me.

I found locally, a rusty stripped badly dented "R" code shell that needed floors etc. Luckily, I also came across a complete 428 scj drive train from a scrapped "R" code. I spent years sourcing parts.

I did all the restoration and body work at home in my garage including building the engine etc. I made rear disc brakes utilizing Taurus calipers and race car rotors and hats.

I finished the body shell to the primered ready for paint stage then sent it off to the local body shop for base and clear in Gulfstream aqua.

I finished the restoration in June 2005 in time to take it to the Carslile All Ford show in Carslile Pennsylvania in which it recieved 2nd place.

Since then it has earned many trophies.

Here are a couple of pic's for your reference.

Cheers John

ParkPics049.jpg

EngineE.jpg

Fines002.jpg

ParkPics043E-1.jpg

Unh unh unh John I just caught you in a lie, those aren't original exhaust tips.:nono: Just kidding, the car look fabulous, we are glad to you have you aboard. You'll find us a very freindly bunch. You should seriously consider doing a little write up about yor rear Taraus disk swap, I'm sure others would be interested in the parst and cost factors to do it. My last paint job was Gulfstream Aqua, a great and under used color. Now that I'm going modified though I'm choosing a more modern Ford tone.

welcome to the board VERY nice fastback as you can prolly guess by my name im sorta partial to them i love gulfstream aqua , when i finnally do find another fastback worth rebuilding thats the color im going with

Sorry guy's N gals, I did not mean to missrepresent my ride by saying it is a concourse car. I built it originally to be a daily driver but as I progressed it just had to be the best I could get it.

My car is not all original as you can see, the changes from stock that Iv'e made are the following:

1. Rear disc brakes, because I hate drum brakes.

2. Stailess braided brake lines, because they feel good.

3. Modern head lights, because they look cool and original one's don't.

4. Bitchin spoke mags(Torque thrust D's), at least they are period!

5. True dual exhaust, because it should be.

6. Single not dual exhaust tips, because the nice SS rolled edge one's I have don't fit 2 1/2" dia pipe and even if I did modify them they look too small anyway!

7. MSD 6al ign, cause I love a powerful multi spark that will start even a flooded engine.

8. Shift kit in the C6 "R" tranny, cause I like a good kick in the ass.

9. Detroit locker in the rear, the ratcheting sound when turning sounds serious and the car hooks up good.

10. High lift, long duration cam, G forces on the highway, when you plant it, are phenominal.

Front and rear calipers are "Jet Hot" coated.

Everything else is stock.

Here are some images of interest.

ParkPics019.jpg

ParkPics017.jpg

ParkPics008.jpg

museum010.jpg

ParkPics006.jpg

Cheers

John

I forgot to mention I have the sequential led tail lights out back.

They look great and consume minimal power.

Also, another mod I did, and I highly recommend everyone do this, is the installation of three relays to power the low beam lights, high beam lights and horn. All these items draw high current and our old wiring has lots of resistance not to mention headlight switches that fry etc. I have a new rim blow horn switch ($120) that I want to protect also.

I mounted my relays below the starter solenoid right down low and outta sight. Got a good power supply from just above on the solenoid then spliced into the headlight loom close by.

My lights are white, not yellow and my horn is, well really horny!

Cheers John

Hmm.. I have low/high lights mounted and one for an electric fan but didn't think of the horn. Guess I'll mount up another to wire in the harness while it's apart! Good point.

Question:

What type of emergency brake solution did you work up.. or not on your rear disc? I'm usting SN95 rears but they setup looks similar.

and

What braided line did you use from the body to the rear on your brake lines? I've been looking at what would work.

-Stephen

Hmm.. I have low/high lights mounted and one for an electric fan but didn't think of the horn. Guess I'll mount up another to wire in the harness while it's apart! Good point.

Question:

What type of emergency brake solution did you work up.. or not on your rear disc? I'm usting SN95 rears but they setup looks similar.

and

What braided line did you use from the body to the rear on your brake lines? I've been looking at what would work.

-Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I took some pic's last night of my brakes, In a couple of days I'lll post the picks and descriptions of what I did.

John

Hi John & welcome to the site ! Beautiful car. What size wheels & tires are you running? They look great with that color & really fill the fenders.

Hi StangGuy,

My wheel and tire combo are as follows:

Front:

Torque Thrust D 15"x7" 3 3/4" back space, with 235/60 BFG

Rear:

Torqu Thrust D 15"x 8 1/2" 3 3/4" back space, with 245/60 BFG

There are/were interfereance issues and I will show how I overcame this in another post with pic's in a few days.

Front is lowered 1" with the Shelby method.

Cheers

John

Hi StangGuy,

My wheel and tire combo are as follows:

Front:

Torque Thrust D 15"x7" 3 3/4" back space, with 235/60 BFG

Rear:

Torqu Thrust D 15"x 8 1/2" 3 3/4" back space, with 245/60 BFG

There are/were interfereance issues and I will show how I overcame this in another post with pic's in a few days.

Front is lowered 1" with the Shelby method.

Cheers

John

Great looking vehicle you got there, John ... and I especially like the part that it's still a driver and you've modded it to be enjoyed on the road.

Did you have any problems or rubbing with the front wheel/tires? I'm thinking of replacing my skinned and scarred 14x7 Magnums with a set of 15x7 magnums and 235/60/15 tires all the way around.

Like I said, great looking ride and welcome. :yes: