Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerry

1969 manual needed

What would your recommendations be for an in depth manual? As I mentioned I have a 69 fastback with a 351 W and C4 trans. I’ve been to the Dallas Mustang site and they have a five volume set for $59.99, are there any thoughts on these manuals? My primary concerns for a manual are the mechanical aspects including wiring and vacuum. However, an indepth manual that covers all aspects would be preferred. Thanks for your help.

That set sounds like the Shop Manuals, which I would highly recommend. They are great, and you will get lots of use out of them, but they do not include the wiring schematics.

There is another book that goes along with them, sold separately, for wiring. I think it goes for under $10.

As for vacuum, I don't know exactly where that would be found.

But you won't be sorry for picking up the shop manual set. Worth every penny.

Ditto the above. I bought a set back in 1970 for my then new 1970 Mustang. When I sold that car years later I gave the new owner the set except for the first volume. Two years ago I bought another set from a Mustang vendor and it's identical to the original set right down to the paper quality. They are very worth while to own if you do any work on your car. The wiring and vacuum diagrams can be bought separately from many vendors for around $10 or so.

:yes:

Agreed, every owner that does their own service should own the 5 set shop manuals. You can not get the same accuracy of info from a Chiltons or Haynes manual but honestly some times it is not bad to have one of those as a second reference since the actual shop manuals cover more than just the mustang from 69' and up and a basic parts store reapir manual can in some few rear cases help you diagnose a problem better. At least that has been my experience as I have a Haynes and Chiltons manual as well that came with my car and was more than once where I found the particular answer I needed.

If you are doing a full restoration than the individual brown manuals are a must have as well. For my teardown/rebuild I purchased both the chasis and the assembly manuals and I don't think I could have torn it all down myself wihtout them and I'm betting it they will save my arse more than once going back together no matter how well I think I bagged and tagged everything.

Look on Ebay for used original manual sets. I bought the complete set for $20 on ebay. Just use keywords 1970 Ford Manual and leave out the word Mustang. When they have Mustang in the title they always sell for double than ones without Mustang.

any suggestions on where to find an osborne manual & how many are there?

The Osbourne manuals are simply known as the Assembly Manuals. They are the original manuals used by Ford workers on the Assembly Line to put these cars together originally. Jim Osbourne obtained the rights and reproduces these. They make a fine addition to the 5 volume set of shop manuals that I referenced to you in another thread.

The ones for 69' have a brown cover and are a rectangular shape, there several different ones that cover: Body, Chasis, Electrical, Engine, Interior & Weld and Sealant. I only purchased the Body and Chasis ones becasue that's what I needed ot straighten my car back to factory specs after the accident.

They look like this:

LT51.jpg

I bought mine here: http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/catalog/shop/category.asp

thanks for pointing me in the right direction..found the manuals (5) on e-bay for $20.50

Its all in the search words my friend. If the title only says 1970 Ford manuals you can get them dirt cheap. I think i paid $20 for a mint set on ebay. The exact same set on another auction had Mustang in the title and it was over double the price. Hope they help out some!!!! I still need to order my Osborn Manuals. So far i've been able to rely on my memory and shop manuals. We'll see how long that lasts :lol:

Great.. now well all be bidding against each other.. lol

They they are called "Car Shop Manual" on the cover?

-Stephen

Finally won a set. Weird after getting beat out at over $25-30 a set, I get one for $12.57.. lol. $17.07 delivered.

-Stephen

Great.. now well all be bidding against each other.. lol

They they are called "Car Shop Manual" on the cover?

-Stephen

Finally won a set. Weird after getting beat out at over $25-30 a set, I get one for $12.57.. lol. $17.07 delivered.

-Stephen

-Stephen

Nice score!! Maybe i should buy all of them up and use "mustang" in the title and get triple the price? :tongue_smilie:

-Stephen

Nice score!! Maybe i should buy all of them up and use "mustang" in the title and get triple the price? :tongue_smilie:

Every little bit counts I guess.

The last time I tried to sell some chopper bicycle parts I ended up with only 99 cent bids even with exact other items going from $5 to $15. I should have put a higher starting bid I guess.

-Stephen

Every little bit counts I guess.

The last time I tried to sell some chopper bicycle parts I ended up with only 99 cent bids even with exact other items going from $5 to $15. I should have put a higher starting bid I guess.

-Stephen