Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rwcstang

headlights flickering

they seem to flicker while im on the the freeway..i check the connections and seem fine..could it be a false connection between the headlights, to the connector? or the headlight it self? maybe a bad ground wire?

they seem to flicker while im on the the freeway..i check the connections and seem fine..could it be a false connection between the headlights, to the connector? or the headlight it self? maybe a bad ground wire?

Why don't you use the search function::lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist after the "Hrrmm that's odd" thread.

It's actually probably the headlight switch itself that is faulty, if I remember what I have heard in the past corretcly that is.

In the event that it is a bad ground I always check the one at the block from the battery first, at least that is the one that always plagued me in the past. It seems that just from being exposed to the road surface and damp conditions plus any coolant flushes or radiator issues like i have had in the past it is easy to build up corrosion there.

I can remember more times when I would be driving and have to stop some where like for gas or run into a store and syuddenly I could not get my car to restart. Sure enough I would reach in from underneath, wiggle it back and forth a few times and bingo, she started right up.

I'm still betting on the switch though.

yeah i used to have radiator problems lol so i i changed that and checked all wiring if it spilled on it but no corrision what so ever good be the negative battery cable. but ill check up on it. thanks guys!

Did you fix it yet RWC?

I hate when someone posts a problem and we never find out what it was or if they fixed it. Not ranking on you personally BTW for this particular instance, just talking in general about a pet peve of mine.

Be sure to let us know when you nail the issue.

oh yeah i still havent had the time to find it, cuz i stumbled on to another problem i was driving on the free way and the carb turns off on me...and then bang a big misfire...so im thinkign my fuel pump is clogged or carb,....as for the lights im thinking its the negative battery, cuz i replaced the postive one but not the negative but im going to check today

ill let you know by the end of the day.

It's a bit late, but I'll chime in. I'm gonna take a stab at it and guess that you're running modern halogen replacements rather than the original incandescents. If so, it's less likely the actual headlight switch, but rather the inline fusible link in the switch. See, the power for the headlights is actually bussed through the switch and when modern halogens are used, they put draw more current than the fusible link is designed to handle. The fusible link heats up, breaks, the lights go off. The link cools down, the lights come back on. The proper cure for this is to run relays for the headlights.

Now, that said, this is a common problem on old cars converted to halogens, and is especially common on vintage Mustangs. When my car suffered this, the headlights would work for 10 minutes, and then go into this cycle of on-off-on-off flickering, and eventually turn off completely until I let the fusible link cool adequately.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

DB hit the nail on the head. The headlight switch has an internal circuit breaker that kicks when the system is overloaded. If you have halogen headlights and a weak headlight switch, it will kick the breaker and make the headlights flicker. I'd suggest looking at your headlights and see if you can find a brand/part number and see what you are dealing with. I'd also suggest getting a new headlight switch. I've heard that the new repro switches are better built than the older NOS ones. Not sure how true that it. You can also buy harnesses with a relay and it will end all of your halogen headlight problems. Check out this link for a cheap $40 harness that allows you to put as high wattage headlights as you want and not overload the headlight switch http://www.modernvintageauto.com/index_files/page0006.htm

Darkbuddha - I think you are on to something. Had that problem unitl I upgraded my headlight wiring with realy. Cheap fix and wire available from Summit.

Just FYI, DB made that reply in October of 06' and hasn't been around since Dec 07' just so you don't think he's ignoring you. :blink: