Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

369coupes

how far gone is too far

ok all i have a few pics of my new 69 fastback that the current owner sent me WARNING these pics are NOT for the faint of heart im fairly sure this thing is a parts car but id like your opions

its has a clear title and all the numbers but i dont know, dont worry about hurting my feeling about it im thick skinned , im sorry too hurt your eyes with it

well rynodude, the plan was to restore it UNTIL i got these pics now i dont know..... im not picking the car????? up until memmorial day weekend ill have to wait to see what kinda vibe i get from the car maybe ill try to find a coupe or convert and make it a fast back with the roof off of this one i dunno

So did you buy this thing sight unseen? I think your estimate of it being a parts car is too kind, ther edoes not seem to be very much usable on this one.

To actaully answer your question though, no car is really too gone, it all depends on how much money you want to spend really. Things like rarity and/or sentiment play heavy factors in decisions like this. I'd say that in order to tackle this one for example it would of had to of been your fathers old Boss that you were not only conceived in but delivered in as well by Lee Iacoca himself while on route to the hospital.

Boy it's a good thing you have thick skin!:no:

On a more serious note, about the only thing I can suggest is that you start looking at parts not currently available in reproduction that you can remove and clean up with little effort and maybe you can get a few bucks back. I think this guy has been waiting for some time to find a buyer for this car and you may have to wait twice as long to find another otherwise.

Well, you could make it a Burning Man car:

http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burningman/art_cars_on_the_playa.html

cover it in fur, glass, something weird. I'm not making fun, I'm serious. I've seen a '69 Grande made into a Burning Man art car. You have the bare shell for the car, just make it driveable and go to Burning Man in style! Note, it doesn't have to be street legal, just use your creativity and go wild. I've been to Burning Man once and it's a blast.

pakrat well no i saw 2 pictures of it from adistance on ebay and was the high bidder on it till ebay cancel;led the auction so i got in contact with the owner and worked out something ,then i got these pics of it last night i honestly think there is 200.00 worth of parts here i mean the passenger mirrior should bring 50.00 alone right? but i didny buy it to flip it or to sell the parts so im ok with it , and pakrat , im glad i do have thick skin cause you did everything but call me a sucker for buying it but its cool , see yall in a week or so VACATION TIME yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah not to pile on but unless your daughter/son/wife/girlfriend, etc... was actually born in the back seat of THAT car - I'd be passing...

But for $200 you could probably cut enough pieces out of it to sell and recoup the $200. Does it have a hood or trunk deck? They make cool sleds if you live in an area that has snow.

Well, you said don't worry about hurting your feelings so I gave you my true opinion without sugar coating it, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad at all.

Remember, time is also money so whatever an hour of your time is worth multiplied by how many hours it will take to salvage some parts vs. what you can sell them for plus the cost of your purchase price and I just don't see where it is worth it, especially since that is not even the intent of your purchase to begin with.

I know what it is like to want a car badly and how it can cloud judgement believe me, been there myself. I'm not the only one that thinks this is a case where at any price you did not get your money's worth, If your agreement is not binding I would seriously back out as a way better car will come along and I don't wan't to see you soured by a bad experience like all those "Lost Interest" projects you see for sale all the time that have to sell for significantly less than invested. Good for the buyer but not so good for the seller.

Well, I just restored a rustbucket, but it was not this far gone, you may get your $200 back in parts but as for the car there is just to much bad.....even for me. I had to replace the front frame rails, aprons, shocktowers, seat rails, full seat pans, toeboards.....this car needs more than that, sad to say unless you have alot of time and money and just want to do it for fun this one is a gonner......

Dan

Looks like a power brake car. Those pedal supports and pedals go for a nice buck.

I would run from this car- you are years from driving it and wasn't the whole point to get back behind the wheel of a 69 again? There are just too many out there to fight a pitched battle on this one.

If you MUST restore that car, find a coupe that a tree fell on (or something equally bad to the "shiny side") and cut the bottom off and weld to top side of the fast back to it. I hope you have lots of welding supplies.........

bnichol, your right its only a 302 but how did you know that? do the shock towers look different on a car with a smaller engine? and yes guys i know they made alot of these cars and i could get a decent one fro around 2000 .00 but the problem is i dont have that kind of money just laying around im a poor boy so i have to take what i can find when i find it

Hey best of luck, we are all here to help in any way we can, believe me. We all love to see a car get rescued and receive a second chance on life. Honestly for a sportroof 2k ain't gonna buy much more, maybe it would be more complete but probably not in much better shape. The problem really is that without a budget or cash flow it'll probably take you several years and $3500 just to get it to the same point as a $2000 car today. So long as you are in no rush we'd love to see you make this happen. I have a semi local place that has alot of used affordable parts cars so if you come across a list of specifics after you tear into the car let me know and I'll put you in tuch wiht them.

Good Luck!

bnichol, your right its only a 302 but how did you know that? do the shock towers look different on a car with a smaller engine? and yes guys i know they made alot of these cars and i could get a decent one fro around 2000 .00 but the problem is i dont have that kind of money just laying around im a poor boy so i have to take what i can find when i find it

the cars with big blocks had different shock towers, there was a wrap around brace to help strenghten the tower. in 70 even a lot of 351 cars got them and all 69 and 70 cougars got the big block towers as well.

i'd love to see you get this car built but honestly if you don't have a lot of money i don't see it. my car was in much better shape to start and i've spent 20 years trying to restore it, most of the resto has taken place in the last 8 years but i did spend a ton of money on it in the years before that and my car is still not done, it's close though.

honsetly if you like the mustang and don't have a lot of money you should look at getting a cougar, they are pretty much the same car except the cougar is a little bit longer and has a little bit better ride.

i like 69 mustangs alot in fact i think they are one of if not the best looking car from the musclecar era i grew up looking at one a guy upthe street has its a red 390 fastback and yes as my signature says ive been a mopar fan most of my life and i know most of you are saying well mopars arent cheap so howcome hes says hes poor he has 4 of them ,well my 69 runner i bought it for 600.00 about 12 years ago nd its still just a giant model kit in my garage my 71 gtx i got for 100 and its almost as bad as this mustang except it rolls and has all its body parts and my scamp i got it for 100.00 also as far as mopars go ive been luck enough to be in the right places at the right times i have a garage full of mopar parts as well anywho, i just need to find some local guys to me into fords to start some parts/cars connections

as far as cougars go if i bought a cougar it would have to be a 67 i never really cared for the 69/70 cougars no offence except of course for the eliminators i know i guy whos way into cougars and hes making a 67 cougar g/t fastback he cut the roof off a67 mustang and wielded it on a cougar and it looks really cool i think mercury missed the boat when they didnt offer a fastback cougar

im just gonna go get this poor old mustang and drag it home and keep it around until i find a better body/shell to start with and continue collecting parts so if any of you hear of a shell for sale im interested i have atrailer now so i can travel to get one and thats another reason im wanting a 69 mustang is because ive allready got alot of parts bought for one so now its just easier to go that route . id take a coupe or convert shell since i have the top off this one but id really rather find a good fastback first