maxum96

1970 fender extension grille color

6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I dont believe they were painted ,they were black plastic ,i think i have a couple here i can check 

This is what I recall. They are just the black plastic.

if yours have been painted you may want to soalkmthem in brake fluid to eat the paint off

Maxum, I have a couple of these originals, and they are black plastic, unpainted.  You can soak them in Evapo-rust as well, to remove any road dirt/grime, etc.   

I used the SEM plastic paint process to re-coat them, and they came out fine. 

Just a caution....Your car in this picture looks good, everything is nice and aligned.  You would need to take the grill, stone shield, moldings, front valence, inner fender splash shield, and front fenders off to get at these to paint them. So, if you are taking your car apart, have fun.  If not, I personally would not go through all that trouble to paint them.  Not sure if you can mask off and paint them with everything installed.

If you take them off, keep the screws. They are kind of unique and install at a weird angle.

Good luck!

Vic

On 1/14/2024 at 9:19 PM, maxum96 said:

Anyone know what the correct color is to paint the imitation plastic fender extension grilles on a 70 I circled in red?

headlight grille.jpg

Do you post your car on Instagram?  Pretty sure I follow you there.

47 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Do you post your car on Instagram?  Pretty sure I follow you there.

No, not me.  I'm only on this forum, VMF, and FB.

I think I've got the answer to my question.  They were unpainted from the factory.  I'll probably do the same when I put the new ones in.