Sign in to follow this  
69428RCJ

Max Tire Size for '69 Mach 1 428 R CJ

On 12/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, det0326 said:

Nice car Weekend Cruiser, noticed you are in western NC. I am in SC and I have a Mustang enthusiast thats a friend of mine in Murphy NC. Wounding how close you are to him.  

Thanks for the compliment, sir. I'm currently living in Asheville, NC, but I'm originally from Franklin, NC. So, I'm familiar with Murphy. When they closed down Books A Million years ago here in Asheville I used to drive down to Anderson, SC to Books A Million just to buy Hot Rod magazines. Then they quit publishing about 18 different car magazines and I quit going to Anderson. They were a car show / fund raiser for a cop that had been injured a few weeks ago in Seneca that I was wanting to go to, but I was working that weekend so I wasn't able to make it.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:40 PM, san408 said:

I'm running the same tire on the rear, but with a 10" wheel that has a 5.5" backspace.  The rear is factory at the moment, but the lip is rolled.  I figured I'd just show for comparison purposes.  My last set of wheels were 15x8" Centerlines, and I also ran a 275/60/15 tire on them lowered with a 1" block. You can see that the drag radials are also a little taller than the old Goodyears I had on the Centerlines. 

IMG_E0093.JPG

IMG_3303.jpg

Yes, the 275 is fairly taller but it looks good imho. I didn't use lowering blocks for the rear I went with these leaf springs Scott Drake C5ZZ-5560-4ME Scott Drake Lowering Leaf Springs | Summit Racing with Bilstein shocks front and rear from Street or Track. I can get 2 fingers between the fender and tire on the rear and my fenders are not rolled. 

2 hours ago, WEEKEND CRUISER said:

Thanks for the compliment, sir. I'm currently living in Asheville, NC, but I'm originally from Franklin, NC. So, I'm familiar with Murphy. When they closed down Books A Million years ago here in Asheville I used to drive down to Anderson, SC to Books A Million just to buy Hot Rod magazines. Then they quit publishing about 18 different car magazines and I quit going to Anderson. They were a car show / fund raiser for a cop that had been injured a few weeks ago in Seneca that I was wanting to go to, but I was working that weekend so I wasn't able to make it.

We have a car show in Anderson that you may already be familiar with. It is in June the weekend of Fathers Day. you should try to make it sometime. It is usually a pretty big turn out. There's not but one sometimes two 69 Mach 1 there, would be nice to have yours there 

19 hours ago, det0326 said:

We have a car show in Anderson that you may already be familiar with. It is in June the weekend of Fathers Day. you should try to make it sometime. It is usually a pretty big turn out. There's not but one sometimes two 69 Mach 1 there, would be nice to have yours there 

I would gladly accept your invite if I'm able to finish up the Stang before then, I want to have my transmission rebuilt and completely redo my interior that's about the two major things left to do on my car. I'm hoping to finish the car completely by the end of this year so I can drive it. Can you give me some details on the car show in June, please?

On 1/6/2024 at 2:04 PM, WEEKEND CRUISER said:

Yes, the 275 is fairly taller but it looks good imho. I didn't use lowering blocks for the rear I went with these leaf springs Scott Drake C5ZZ-5560-4ME Scott Drake Lowering Leaf Springs | Summit Racing with Bilstein shocks front and rear from Street or Track. I can get 2 fingers between the fender and tire on the rear and my fenders are not rolled. 

It was my Dad's car, and he put the lowering block in to get the car to sit how he wanted.  When I went to the 15X10 wheel with the 275/60 drag radial the lowering block had to go. (I like it better this way now) The Mickey Thompson 275/60 is taller than the old Goodyear radial 275/60s.  When we first put the new wheels and tires on it was really tight. 

IMG_4141.JPG

On 1/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, WEEKEND CRUISER said:

Nothing pertinent to add.  Small world it is sometimes.  My Mom's family is from Oconee County, been to Seneca many times, Walhalla and West Union.  Anderson jockey lot ain't what it used to be 25 years ago, neither is Pickens Flea market. Also went to the Mustang shows in Ashville at the Biltmore Estate years ago.

15 hours ago, Grabber70Mach said:

Nothing pertinent to add.  Small world it is sometimes.  My Mom's family is from Oconee County, been to Seneca many times, Walhalla and West Union.  Anderson jockey lot ain't what it used to be 25 years ago, neither is Pickens Flea market. Also went to the Mustang shows in Ashville at the Biltmore Estate years ago.

When I was a kid, my folks use to drive to Seneca and shop at Roses and Big Lot stores all the time. And the jockey lot we went to at least once or twice a year, but your correct it's nothing what it used to be for many years ago. I always enjoyed the trips to SC when I was a kid, when I got old enough to get my driver's license I started driving down into Toccoa, Ga and up through Westminster, Seneca, Clemson, Anderson and Greenville, SC. To this day I still take a long drive through those same areas mention above a couple times a year just to get away and reset mentally. 

22 hours ago, Grabber70Mach said:

I was born and raised about 3 miles from Anderson Jockey Lot, I now live in the North Lake area. 

10 hours ago, WEEKEND CRUISER said:

When I was a kid, my folks use to drive to Seneca and shop at Roses and Big Lot stores all the time. And the jockey lot we went to at least once or twice a year, but your correct it's nothing what it used to be for many years ago. I always enjoyed the trips to SC when I was a kid, when I got old enough to get my driver's license I started driving down into Toccoa, Ga and up through Westminster, Seneca, Clemson, Anderson and Greenville, SC. To this day I still take a long drive through those same areas mention above a couple times a year just to get away and reset mentally. 

My Aunt lives in Toccoa, her husband, my Uncle was a known Dirt Track racer in the area.  His Son at onetime was racing in the Bushman class for NASCAR.  Came through Clemson on our way there ever year and Westminster was the name I was trying to think of last night.  

15 hours ago, Grabber70Mach said:

Wish the jockey lot was what it used to be.  Not really sure where the area you live in now is.

I-85  Exit 21. Where I-85 and 178(Liberty Hwy) intersect. is the area where I live now. Northern Hartwell lake in that area is called North Lake. I am still only about 8 or 10 miles from Jockey lot but haven't been in over 20 years or so. Your right it is not as good as it use to be.

I've got 275's in the rear of mine.  No rolling required, no rubbing. Still need to lower the front-end a bit, but lots of room.

front: 17 x 8 with  4.75 bs
back: 17 x 9.5 with 5.7 bs              

front: 245/45/17
back: 275/40/17
image.thumb.png.0a9b3a3ca707e55dfd7108409fc88f7e.png