Vicfreg

Vintage Air A/C duct routing

I am getting to that point where the metal dash is ready to be installed, and I want to route my Vintage Air ducts while I have access to that space. My vintage air hardware is long ago installed.   I have a factory A/C dash and A/C dash pad ready to go.

I also have the original plastic pieces for the drivers side and passenger side A/C registers, and the original registers installed in the dash.  I do have the Vintage air register extension plastic pieces currently installed on the drivers side and passengers side registers, but they can be removed if needed.

I know that this has been done before, so any lessons learned/how-to/pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks

Vic

So you're trying to use some of the original ducts to the vents?

I went with the retrofit kit with my car since it was factory non-AC.  It was tough to get to get the flexible tubes routed and connected to the vents but it worked in the end.  I also used zip ties to hold the duct to the vents.

Try using just the flexible ducts first and see if that works.

Edit:  Ad the biggest issue I had is the glove box does not fit with the new box from CAA.  I think the AC cars had smaller boxes so let me know if yours works.

I recently installed Vintage Air in my 70 Mustang, which was an original AC car. Didn't have any issues around the glove box. The issue that I had was getting the flex hose to the driver side vent. I installed Dakota Digital gauges and located their "brain" just above the vent. I had to get a rigid ABS right-angle adaptor to be able to clear everything. Don't know if there would have been an issue if everything was stock. I also had to add zip ties to secure the flex hose to the ducts since the small bumps made to hold the ducts didn't hold securely enough when trying to cram everything in behind the dash.

Thanks so much for the info. I was hoping you might have some pictures, if you do, please send them along.
How did you route the ductwork over to the passenger side?  The outlets on the vintage air box are on the drivers side, and you have to make a U-turn head to the passenger side. I was just wondering how you did that. Any insight to be appreciated
Vic

2 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

How did you route the ductwork over to the passenger side?  The outlets on the vintage air box are on the drivers side, and you have to make a U-turn head to the passenger side. 
Vic

Well that sounds like a well engineered product. 

There is sufficient room on the passenger side of the dash to easily run the flex hoses to the right vent. You are correct, since all of the hoses come out of the left side of the evaporator box then you do need to make a "u-turn" to get to the right vent. There is just enough room for this but when attaching the flex hoses to the box, start with the ones closest to the firewall and work forward. There isn't a lot of room to get your hands in there to make the connection to the box. Also, as you install the hoses one by one, my first thought was to just leave plenty of extra length and cut to exact fit later but I ran out of hose on the last one, luckily I had some leftover from a previous project. Unfortunately, even though I had my camera sitting next to me, I still didn't take any pictures of this process. Just work through the install in the order/steps from the instructions and take your time and you should have no big problems. Don't be surprised if you have to have the evaporator or the dash in and out a few times.

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have my dash out, so following the firewall in suggestion is a great one. I will try that.  I do agree that the passenger side has more room to route the ducting as the passengier side dash area has a lot more room. 

I am now more concerned about the drivers side, thinking I could route that over the steering column, but not sure it will fit between the steering column support brace and the gauge package.  Any suggestions there?

Thanks again for the help

Vic

I finally did get back there. Thanks for the hand on starting from the firewall side connections.

I have them staged in an area where I can move them around, so I’ll probably put the dash in and see what happens, let the fun begin….

IMG_1711.jpeg

Yes, the driver vent hose needs to go behind the steering support or it will interfere with the gauge cluster.  Hook the lower vents up before you install the gauges and passenger panels.  When you are ready to do the dash pad see if you can do the center vent with the pad installed and then insert it in the pad.  If not you’ll have to stage the pad and install the vent before the pad.

Placing the vent hose behind the column support would be the ideal location but, in my case, I had already located the control box and all of its' wires for Dakota Digital gauges in the area behind the dash and above the left vent (I forgot to take the hose routing into account when I chose where to mount the box). I ended up putting the hose in front of the column brace and then used a 90 degree adaptor to get to the vent. There was just barely enough room behind the Dakota gauges (they are a little less bulky than the original gauge cluster).

Thanks!   I will provide an update when I install my dash.   I am actually going to try and move the relay pack, and route it behind the support.  It looks really tight to install the VHX gauge package and the duct in that space.

I didn't try to install my dash yet, but what I don't want to do is get everything installed and then try to push my instrument panel in against the large A/C hose.  Moving my relay pack that is behind the steering column support is not going to work, as a few years ago, I routed my main wiring harness through there also.

I got sourced a smaller (1-1/2") A/C hose on Ebay, and I got some shop vac hose adaptors off of Amazon.   So, I will route a 1-1/2" flex duct thorough that tight space, and then go back up to the 2-1/2" to attach to the drivers side factory plastic A/C vent elbow assembly.   This will not substantially reduce my airflow, so I am headed that way. Will post the results when I get to it, hopefully tomorrow. I just have to get over to the auto parts store to get a couple 2-1/2" hose clamps.

IMG_2027.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Think I got it set up for success, hopefully.   Trial fit everything, so my plan is to run the small duct across the steering column/dash support behind my instrument panel gauge package.

In the final preparations to install my dash, I expect do to this before the end of the year....

IMG_2049.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

OK, got it all installed, it was a little bit of fun I had to put the dash in first and then hook the register in ductwork afterwards, but looks like it’s going to help the clearance issue with the gauge package

IMG_2065.jpeg