Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Rear axle housing width

I have a chance to pick up a 9" tapered housing that was modified to fit a 69 convertible that was going from a 4 lug to 5 lug conversion.  I've seen the width of wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface should be 60.25"  I don't have that measurement since it is an empty housing.

What I do know is 59.25" from housing flange to flange and 43.5" spring perch center to center.

Before I buy it is this the correct housing for my 69 mustang?  I'd measure my car but it is an hour away at the paint shop.

It’s all good. In the last 28 years I have had plenty of opportunity to obtain the correct housing but did not because I thought I had one. Unfortunately I did not measure it until recently and it is too wide. 

Happy you found the correct housing!

My concern, since it was modified, did they get the spring perches back on in the correct position to provide the correct pinion angle. I know you can get tapered wedges to correct it but never was a fan of that.

3 hours ago, det0326 said:

My concern, since it was modified, did they get the spring perches back on in the correct position to provide the correct pinion angle. I know you can get tapered wedges to correct it but never was a fan of that.

visually they are are the same angle just moved laterally.  They were modified for a 68 and I'm pretty sure we have the same dimensions.

Now I need to figure out the best way to remove the surface rust and store it for a few months.  Also looking at the best way to paint the exterior short of powdercoat.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, det0326 said:

when I did mine I wire brushed it the best i could and used a primer made just for rust. I believe it was Mastercoat series . It is sand able and u can top coat it with most any kind of paint. worked really well for me.

What about the inside?

On 10/15/2023 at 3:35 PM, TexasEd said:

What about the inside?

well Ed wasn't thinking of the inside. Mine did have a little rust on the inside I  use stiff brush and diesel fuel.  with the additives they put in diesel fuel now you will be amazed how good it cleans. If rust is really bad tho you may have to use some type of rust remover.