Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Heli Coil

When installing my intake, one of the bolts will not torque. I have tried to clean the threads with a tap and have tried a slightly longer bolt.

I believe I am at the point where I need to drill and tap for a heli coil.

Can I do this without taking the intake off? 

I'd say maybe.  It all depends on the drill bit size needed for the heli-coil and if the bolt hole in the intake is closely centered over the threaded hole on the cylinder head.  If all that is okay, then very likely you can.  You are supposed to stake the top surface after the insert is installed so it cannot back out when removing the bolt.  You won't be able to do that.  Instead use some red Loctite on the outer threads of the insert when installing it.

take the intake off . i have never staked a heli coil and have never had one back out and if you use loctite it can seep thru to the inside of the threads which is not a good thing at all.

use bolts with good threads whenever using a helicoil. put regular oil on the bolt threads before installing it.

The 4 front and rear bolt holes are thru holes to the outside of the block.  The remaining bolt holes are blind.  I don't see where the Loctite will seep to.  I've always put  a small drop of red Loctite on the outer threads of the insert then let it thoroughly dry before installing a bolt.  But, since the motor is still on the stand, removing the intake manifold is simple.  Cleaning any gasket sealer or silicone will be the most time consuming part.