Mike65

Which timing chain set, & roller lifters for my 5.0?.

I have to purchase the timing chain & gears & roller lifters for my 1987 5.0 that is going into the 69 Coupe. I am trying to decide if I should leave the bottom stock or go with a 331 stroker kit & bolting on the Ford Performance M-6049-X306 cylinder heads w/Ford Performance 1.6 roller rockers, & installing the M-6250-B303 cam, that are from a new Boss 302 crate engine, & installing the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. I was looking at Ford Performance hydraulic roller lifters #-M-6500-R302, & timing chain sets from Ford Performance #-M-6268-A302 & Comp Cams Magnum double roller timing chain set #-CCA-2120. Is the Ford Performance timing chain set better then the comp Cams set or am I paying more for the Ford name?. Any suggestions/recommendations? The car will be used as a weekend cruiser, I have a T-5 5spd to install behind the 5.0 & I have 3.50 rear gears in a Ford 9" rear. I will be running either FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI.

I don't have answers to all of your questions but those are the same lifters I am thinking about using when I finally get around to building my engine.  

For the cam though I have read a lot about the Ford alphabet cams and people say that there are a lot better profiles out there from other manufactures.

I'm kind of old school and use the Cloyes Original True Roller double roller timing chain and gear sets.  However, I have used the Ford Racing  timing chain and gear set in the past.  Quality is good and every marking on the gears were identical to those on a Cloyes set.  Of your two choices, I would use the Ford Racing parts.  Their quality is good and from my understanding Ford Racing has always installed and tested the parts they sell.

Mike, on my 1968, I have a very similar set up.  I used the B-303 cam with the Ford 1.6 roller rockers and lifters.   I believe I used Comp Cams double roller chain and sprocket kit.  I was also using a mechanical fuel pump, and needed to use the eccentric on the cam gear, so that influenced my decision.   I have GT40 cast iron heads.   The car runs great.  I will look and verify this for you....

Too funny.  Here is my 1968 "S" code coupe that I owned until 1981.   I will find a better pic.  Had the rear marker lights covered over by previous owner.   390 - 4 Barrel, 4 speed toploader, front disc brakes, factory tach. ....    Mistake to get rid of it....

IMG_0175.JPG