Alan_Mac

1970 Mach1 Turn Signal Operation

Are the front side marker lights supposed to flash when the turn signals are on?  When my left turn signal is on the left side marker flashes.  Ditto for the right.  looking at my Jim Osborn wiring diagram schematic, I don't think the side markers should flash.  

My side marker operation is as follows: 

Key off, Headlight switch on: both front parking lights and side markers are on steady state on.

Key on or acc, Headlight switch on, both front parking lights and side markers are on steady state on.

Key on or acc, Headlight switch on, Left Blinker on; left front turn signal and left front side marker blink.  right side front parking light and right side marker are steady state on.  Ditto for right side blinker operation. 

Key on or acc, Headlight switch off, Left Blinker on; left front turn signal and left front side marker blink.  right side front parking light and right side marker off.  Ditto for right side blinker operation. 

It depends. It's a screwy circuit. To better understand how it works go to: How To's, 1970 Mustang Exterior Lights (turn signals).

If the headlights or parking lights are on, then the marker lights on that side will flash alternately with the turn signals. If the headlights or parking lights are off, then the marker lights on that side will flash in unison with the turn signals.

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

It depends. It's a screwy circuit. To better understand how it works go to: How To's, 1970 Mustang Exterior Lights (turn signals).

If the headlights or parking lights are on, then the marker lights on that side will flash alternately with the turn signals. If the headlights or parking lights are off, then the marker lights on that side will flash in unison with the turn signals.

Thanks for the how to's heads up.  My blinker lights work like this. 

Another question regarding the parking / directional signal 1157 BULB.  Is the tall filament for the parking light and the short filament for the directional signal?   The reason I ask is mustang project (MP-1157-RFB) LEDs apparently will not work if the wires are reversed.       

2 hours ago, Alan_Mac said:

Thanks for the how to's heads up.  My blinker lights work like this. 

Another question regarding the parking / directional signal 1157 BULB.  Is the tall filament for the parking light and the short filament for the directional signal?   The reason I ask is mustang project (MP-1157-RFB) LEDs apparently will not work if the wires are reversed.       

On an 1157 the bottom filament is for turn in front, and brake/turn in the rear. The top filament is for park in front, and park/tail lights in the rear.

5 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Holy crap! Mach 1 Driver, do you think that was intentional or a mistake?

9 hours ago, RPM said:

1970 is the only year where the side marker lights are designed without a ground: one side is the blinker; the other side is the running lights.  The problem with this design is that if the headlights are off and the turn signals are on, power is supplied to the running light circuit.  It's entirely possible that both side markers and the rear tail-lights will blink whenever the turn signals are on.  Slick, but flawed, design, IMHO.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

I believe the intention was to get the marker lights to flash with the turn signals, and that was an inexpensive way to do it. They probably got lots of customer questions/complaints about the "different" operation and only did it for one year.