69isfine

Rebuild ideas but first...

Yes, a knock so planning out rebuild on 351w. Where do I find the engine stamp to verify matching status? Thinking mild cam, and switch to 4 barrel and intake.  Any other ideas?

I've owned this for 20 years but never verified the engine matching. Where is it located?

It's a seasonal cruiser. 4-5 fill ups per year but I'm thinking of doing the body (looks good from afar) and interior. what do I need for a budget if it's farmed out. 

it may not have a number stamped on it . either way you should check the casting date on the block if there is no number stamped on it.

if you put much of a cam in it you will need to install pins in the rocker studs or install screw in studs and possibly even stiffer valve springs.

if you want faster acceleration you can install numerically lower gears which you may need to d anyway if the cam is big enough.

If it was me I would put an aluminum intake on it and if you want to hide it just paint it with the engine.

mild cam and if you go more than that the rocker studs, guide plates and roller rockers.

port the heads, even a mild port will improve things. If you keep the stock manifolds then port those too

what are you wanting for power out of this

9 hours ago, 69isfine said:

What intakes fit onto an old stock 351w?

1969-1974 351W cylinder heads have 16 bolts and L-shaped water passages.  1975 and newer 351W heads have 12 bolts and square shape water passages.  Aftermarket aluminum intakes that use 12 bolts also fit the 1969-1974 cylinder heads.  Just use the gaskets the intake manifold mfg. suggests.  A few aftermarket intakes have L-shape water passages, the Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, and Torker II.  All others I have seen have square shape water passages.  The aftermarket intakes with the square shape water passages work on the 1969-1974 cylinder heads, and visa-versa.

The Edelbrock Performer and Torker II have carburetor pads moved forward from the stock position.  This can sometimes create interference between the air cleaner and distributor cap.  The Edelbrock Performer RPM and the Weiand Stealth have the carburetor pad in the stock position with regards to front and rear position, but are much taller than stock limiting hood clearance a little.  A stock air cleaner will not fit under the hood with manifolds taller than stock.

I'd almost say, if you want to use a stock air cleaner, I wouldn't install the intake until the motor is in the car.  Then carefully mock up everything before bolting on the intake.  That way, in a bind, the intake can be exchanged for something different.  If you plan to use an aftermarket air cleaner, there are many options to get one to fit.