ccorby

Engine swap

I have a 69 mustang coupe. 351c and a c4. I need to rebuild the c4 and im also looking into a newer 302 to drop in. Will the 302 and the c4 match up? or should I find a tranny that will? Thanks

I'm honestly not sure. I have a friend the works for a performance shop and he wants to put a fuel injected 302 in it. change the system to support a ecu and what not. I'm fairly certain it is a tuned crate engine

So if it's the 302 block from an 80s/90s Mustang/T-Bird/Explorer you'll need the correct mounts, Bellhousing, oil pan, Oil pick-up, accessory brackets, and Torque Converter.  Also if it is EFI you will need to run new fuel lines (at least a return) and work out a fuel pump strategy (new tank with pump in tank or in line pump(s)).  You may also need to use a mini-starter depending on the block.  It sounds like a lot but It has been done a lot so there is a lot of information out there.

If it is the newer 2010's 5.0 then you need to do major sheet metal work and modifications and I don't know of anyone that has tried to match a c4 to one of those but nothing would surprise me.

28 minutes ago, ccorby said:

Well thanks for your help you guys, I am just trying not to put money where it's not needed. 

If that's the case you can get a lot of power out of a 351c.  It might we worth exploring your options on the motor you have before switching platforms.  Also if it is about the reliability of EFI.  There are great kits that can replace your Carb without an ECU now days.

Personally I've always wanted that old mustang feel of car, with the capability of the new engines. I like the classic appearance but under the hood is far from it. I know that I am getting said 302 EFI so I am really more concerned about rebuilding my C4 and then it not being compatible with the new engine. otherwise I'll save for a compatible trans

Honestly if you are doing that with the EFI, and rebuilding the trans anyway, I would look at trans with overdrive in it.  Will be much better on the road.  Lots of guys on here have done the OD auto swap, so lots of options out there.