Machspeed

Hood Hinges And Hood Hinge Nutplates

Hey friends,

I removed my hood hinges last night and noted that one of the nut plates on the driver's side had pulled out. See photo below. This is an easy fix, but this just seems like a week attachment point that will eventually fail again and now is the time to address this and not after the car is restored. I was wondering if anyone has thought to beef this up and how they went about it?

Regarding the hinges, there appears to be a good deal of play in my hinges. Thinking I could put them on the press and eliminate some of that play by compressing the rivet joint a bit. Has anyone done this? My other option is to purchase a new set, repops. I know, repops suck, but it appears that Dynacorn has a premium set which is supposedly much better than the other repops. Looks like they come painted, so would have to media blast them and phosphate coat them. Has anyone purchased these hinges and if so, thoughts/comments? 

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-hood-hinge-premium-quality-passenger-side-1967-1970/p/HDH14R/

IMG_0868[242].JPG

A simple plate with nut welded to it will be an easy fix for the hole in the inner fender, Just measure the bolt hole foe proper placement to allow adjusting it later.

As for the hinges, Check where the wear is first before you try and re pinning the rivets. if the holes or the body of the rivet is worn you may only be buying a little time by pressing them. Or it will rear its ugly head when your trying to align your hood.

I did some work on my hinges a while back.  A quick tip would be to get a chisel and grind the tip flat, center of the picture, so that it fits the rivet ' X '  snugly.  The vice works as a backing plate for all but one rivet.  That rivet I backed with another hammer.  Worked out just fine.  I then went ahead with the P and  O.  I may have posted some pictures of all that here.  Not sure if those files still exist ?  Brian

Tools Hinge Repair 2.JPG

3 hours ago, Mach1Rider said:

A simple plate with nut welded to it will be an easy fix for the hole in the inner fender, Just measure the bolt hole foe proper placement to allow adjusting it later.

As for the hinges, Check where the wear is first before you try and re pinning the rivets. if the holes or the body of the rivet is worn you may only be buying a little time by pressing them. Or it will rear its ugly head when your trying to align your hood.

For the nut plate fix, I'm thinking something bigger, something that will tie all three nut plates together as a whole. Perhaps a 1/16 metal plate welded to the back side of the fender and the factory nut plates, secured in their respective locations but also welded to the plate. As to the hinges, how do you know if the holes or even the rivet is worn unless you take it apart? I don't feel any slop when pulled, rather just side to side play in almost every joint. And here's another thing, though just a tad off topic, I've read that excessive hinge wear can disable proper fit of the hood, specifically the rear, as it will sit up in the back and not flush with the fenders and cowl. My hood has never sat flush, ever. I bought my car from the original owner and asked him about it and he said it was that way when he purchased it new. As such, I've always left it that way.

2 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

I did some work on my hinges a while back.  A quick tip would be to get a chisel and grind the tip flat, center of the picture, so that it fits the rivet ' X '  snugly.  The vice works as a backing plate for all but one rivet.  That rivet I backed with another hammer.  Worked out just fine.  I then went ahead with the P and  O.  I may have posted some pictures of all that here.  Not sure if those files still exist ?  Brian

Tools Hinge Repair 2.JPG

Brian, I read a post from you while searching the web on this topic. It was very much one like mine, a query on the hinges and perhaps the nutplate. I'm certain it was at the Concurs Mustang Forum. So, after hammering at those rivets, you tightened them up and alleviated the play in them? They are on your car now and you are pleased with how they work?

Yup on the car a little under a year.  My fender apron/nut plates were just fine and did not  require any attention. Hinges behave normally and I don't pay them any attention other than an inspection while applying  grease or some BOESHIELD to the P & O finish.   A case where the BFH actually works.  Brian

69 Shock Tower Cap Phos-Oil 3.JPG

I just bought a pair of the Dynacorn hood hinges. My brother has a restoration business and uses these hinges with no complaints. He said it is not worth messing with the old hinges when the new ones are fairly cheap and work fine. I hope to install the hood tomorrow and will report back how it goes. Today taking inventory of my parts pile I found another pair of brand new Dynacorn hood hinges (jeez that figures). Looks like I have a spare pair if interested.