Sign in to follow this  
machm1970

Aftermarket steering wheel question

I'm looking at getting an aftermarket steering wheel for my '70, I love the looks of the wood wheels, but I think leather is more comfortable. I see most of the aftermarket wheels are 14" where my stock is 15.5". For those of you with aftermarket wheels, do the 14" wheels block your visibility of the factory gauges? I'm 6'0" and it looks like it might be a problem. I'm leaning towards LeCarra, but I'm open to other ideas as well. I have a ginger interior and I'm having a hard time finding leather to match.  

If you would also be inclined to post pics as well, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

if you drive a lot i would get the size you prefer irregardless of whether it "blocks" the gauges or not. because other than the speedometer which you can still see if you need to, one rarely looks at the gauges but their hands are always on the steering wheel.

I have the wood Grant GT replica and it doesn't block the gauges, I believe if is the 14" that you refer to. Keep in mind that an inch and a half smaller in diameter is only .75 an inch on the top. My biggest issue with the Scat Procar seats is the amount of space between the lumbar of the seat and the steering wheel. It's kind of tight getting in and out. If I did it over again, they now have a polished wood version that is more appealing to me.

So, I don't think the size will block your view, unless a leather option makes the wheel really thick.

I do know that when I bought the car out in CA and drove it home to MN, it had a cheesy smaller diameter wheel on it that blocked the speedo, and it got really annoying over the course of the trip.

Run a Forever sharp Wheel in my car... Its not hard to see the speed O and I am only 5'-9" tall but your 6' so you should be able to see over the top of the wheel and down at the gauges, I see the speed O just above the wheel, but I have Fiero seats in my car so it sits a good bit lower than stock LOL

I am installing a 67 Shelby type wheel on my 69.

There was a very rare over the counter version that was made for the 69-70 columns and I have one and enough parts to make a second one.

There were also accessory versions of that wheel sold mostly in Europe that will bolt on using the typical grant adapters with a little modifications.

I have several of these wheels as I have been collecting them for years.

To me it will give that kind of original look and still be an upgrade from stock

Bob

Thanks guys. I'm going to get a 15" lecarra mark 4 leather. I spoke with the owner today and sent him a scrap of extra ginger vinyl, he's going to try to match it. I will post pics when I get it.

Thanks,

Matt