LiLMike

My New Trunk Idea

Just wanted to share what I did with my trunk. I do not have a fold down seat but needed a place to mount my amp. I used 1/8" sheet metal and had it rolled. I then cut out the door, used a piano hinge and a glove box latch. Kind of like outting a glove box in the trunk. Gives me a place to mount the amp out of the way and still use the storage space under the package tray.

post-14167-0-75187900-1488312067.jpgpost-14167-0-27895600-1488312086.jpgpost-14167-0-12677400-1488312102.jpg

Mike,

Looks great! How did you attach it and how much do you estimate it weighs? Also, does the panel bow out where the amp is attached or is it rigid enough? Trunk is on my to do list for someday...Thanks for posting this creative solution!

Mike,

Looks great! How did you attach it and how much do you estimate it weighs? Also, does the panel bow out where the amp is attached or is it rigid enough? Trunk is on my to do list for someday...Thanks for posting this creative solution!

If you look close, I have used sheet metal screws, the kind with the washer attached to them. It weighs about 1 - 2 pounds. next to nothing. It's just 1/8" sheet metal. The amp is at an angle, following the concave part of the sheet metal. I used some rubber bushings to mount it. I went with 1/8" thick sheet metal so it would be rigid enough. I did make a square box out of sheet metal at the bottom to screw the lower edge and piano hinge into. I tack welded the piano hinge onto the door then screwed the other part of the hinge in to hold it in place.c