Sign in to follow this  
ashleesmach1

Lighter water pump (weight)

For a 1969 351W you basically have two options with the lower rad hose on the passenger side.  Made in China Flow Cooler, Milidon, etc. and made in USA Edelbrock.  The made in China water pumps are all the same, just rebranded and reboxed with different labels.  On mine I have used Edelbrock, Flow Cooler, and Milidon water pumps.  The China imported water pumps look cheap.  I was always wondering when the aluminum casting would simply crack from the fan and belt tension loads on it.  The Edelbrock water pump is high quality but expensive.  And the seal on my Edelbrock water pump only lasted about one year.  Maybe I just got a bad one.  I probably could have sent it to Edelbrock for repairs but was furious after it cost so much and threw it in the garbage can.  I will also say pulley alignment was always a little off with any of the aluminum water pumps.  The Edelbrock water pump had the worse pulley alignment and  I had to shim the pulley to improve the alignment.

I have now out grown the desire for an aluminum water pump and back to a high flow cast iron water pump that Tuff Stuff sells.

There is still the belt tension loads on the water pump.  Those were just my thoughts since the China imported water pumps sold by Flow Cooler, Miledon, etc. don't look very robust.  Especially when compared to the cast iron water pumps and the Edelbrock aluminum water pump.  I don't know what Advance Auto is selling.  But, if your car has the lower radiator hose on the drivers side there are more aluminum water pump options.  Drivers side lower rad hoses were 1970 and newer which means at some time a conversion would have been done.  Because, the lower hose location affects many additional items including the accessory brackets, pulleys, harmonic balancer, and timing pointer.