Brian Conway

69 Rim Blow Switch

Doing a little research on the 69 rim blow switch and need some input.  Would like to get some length measurements to compare against OE and aftermarket.  Already have tried two of the Carpenter, white box, switch's and they both had electrical problems. I didn't think to measure them  Darn.  Recently tried a ' Kapalini ' switch and it was an easy install looked and worked great.  One problem at 44 & 3/4"  it is to long.  Being to long it would not fit into the steering wheel without the ends over lapping.  Another smaller issue is the leads are 1" longer than they need to be.   Sending the ' Kapalini ' back.  I would like some help in  double checking my dimensions.  So... any of you guys that have any of these around check the measurements against mine ?   My OE assembly line rim blow measures 43 & 3/4 ' long and the leads measure 8".   In the pictures the Kapalini is on top and the OE on the bottom.  Thanks  Brian

post-33155-0-88463400-1475449905.jpg

post-33155-0-20916400-1475449933.jpg

post-33155-0-29108100-1475449948.jpg

post-33155-0-90562400-1475449959.jpg

The carpenter switches will easily damage during installation if too much force is applied to push the switch into the groove.  After ruining the first switch during install, I ended up trimming the groove slightly with an exacto knife to get the second switch installed without damage.  You also need to install it per the instructions or the rubber part will stretch during install and be too long.

Thanks for the caution, sharing the installation experience and the measurement from an NOS switch.  I did a little checking around and;

Original                 No Part #                43 & 3/4"          Forum Member Brian

NOS                     C9AZ-13A875-A      43 & 3/4"          Forum Member  7Lscjrace

NOS                     C9AZ-13A875-A      43 & 7/8"          Forum Member  Vcode

Carpenter             C9AZ-13A875-A     44"                    WCCC Web Site

Drake                   C9AZ-13A875-C     44"                    Re-branded Carpenter switch ?

Semo                                                  44"                    Re-branded Carpenter switch ?

NOS                     C9AZ-13A875-C     44 & 1/8'           Forum Member Vcode

Ford Ram Air                                       44 & 5/16"        Leon

Rim Blow Buddy   No Part #                44 & 1/2"          Dave

Kapalini                No Part #                44 & 3/4"    

Any other measurements ?  The 69 and 70 are the same length just the lead connections are different. That's my guess anyway.  I know the Original fits and works at 43 3/4" and I also know the Kapalini at 44 3/4" doesn't fit or work.  The Carpenter switch aside from it's assorted issues seems to fit.  So the 44" length is workable.  

Picture is of my Rim Blow wheel and switch.  The Rim Blow picture, on the right, shows more of the copper switch because I cut a small piece of it off.  I wanted to see it in profile.  Not much room for anything longer than 44" but that just my opinion.  Brian 

post-33155-0-92050300-1475530734.jpg

post-33155-0-67032500-1476461127.jpg

69 and 70 are different as far as the shape or the width.  Not sure, I have a 69 wheel and ordered a 70 sw and there was no way it fit in the groove.  I had to sell the 70 and ordered a 69 from Rim blow Buddies.  It's ok they give you old fashion flat tooth picks to place under the switch to make it more sensitive. The length for a 69 was good

It has different sensitivities around the sw.  I thought they stated in time will get better.  You know we are between a rock and hard place with these.  Spend a lot $ for a NOS that's 40+ years old, it has to had  dried out over the years and can't be same as when new.

The other problem I ran across was the width of the grove.  I restored my wheel that was something I had to work to get it consistent all around.  My wheel was basically in good shape with just 2 slight cracks just on the back black portion.  And also I have a 69 wheel on a 70, that's the way I got it 27 yrs ago and figured out it was too costly to get the correct stuff and 69 was in good shape.  Plus I like the 69 wheel better than the 70

Larry

post-38071-0-07980600-1475539882.jpg

post-38071-0-85199500-1475540113.jpg

post-38071-0-18425400-1475540133.jpg

The first rim blow switch I installed in mine about 20 years ago was from Ford.  At that time they were still available from Ford.  The sensitivity on that switch varied as well.  It's might be wishful thinking to get anything better than the original was.  As a matter of fact, the guality of the OEM switch was no better than the Carpenter switch I recently installed.

Just wanted to thank Dave for the measurement of his NOS switch ,44 & 3/8", and to you other guys for sharing your experience's.  Sent the Kapalini switch back and did get a refund.  I also asked them if they had a plans for shortening their 44 & 3/4" switch so it would fit a 69 Mustang rim blow wheel.  Have not heard back but usually once ' tooled up ' little chance there will be any change.  Had a similar experience with Carpenter concerning their incorrect ' Ford Tooling ' shaker seal.  Brian

The rim blow switch Scott Drake sells is made by Carpenter.  Ideally, I think a reproduction center pad with a center horn button would be the best solution.

The length of my Carpenter switch worked out to be as good as the NOS Ford switch it replaced.  Before installing, if the contacts are not in the completely, you need to gently push them in.  Then if you don't install the switch per the instructions the rubber will stretch or shrink and end up too short or too long.  As I learned it's a delicate operation and the steering wheel groove cleanliness and width play a vital role.  If the steering wheel groove is dirty or too narrow from age, the switch will likely get damaged during the installation.

I understand the after market switches are not as good as original.  But, in my opinion, the rim blow steering wheel was not a good idea or design to begin with.

That would be interesting but I think the Drake version is less popular than the others.  Hate to see you waste the money.  I did cal the AZ office, as noted, and they don't seem to be a very hands on kinda outfit.    Brian

The rim blow switch Scott Drake sells is made by Carpenter.  Ideally, I think a reproduction center pad with a center horn button would be the best solution.

The length of my Carpenter switch worked out to be as good as the NOS Ford switch it replaced.  Before installing, if the contacts are not in the completely, you need to gently push them in.  Then if you don't install the switch per the instructions the rubber will stretch or shrink and end up too short or too long.  As I learned it's a delicate operation and the steering wheel groove cleanliness and width play a vital role.  If the steering wheel groove is dirty or too narrow from age, the switch will likely get damaged during the installation.

I understand the after market switches are not as good as original.  But, in my opinion, the rim blow steering wheel was not a good idea or design to begin with.

I'll save my money then.  I'm actually thinking of taking my steering wheel off and putting a wooden Grant style on with the Mustang center cap horn button.

Looking for some more input/measurements for the 69 Rim Blow Switch.  Original, NOS, other after market types just to get some comparisons ?  Measurement should be taken from the soldered ends for length.  See the example in the first post.  Lay the switch down flat, may require something weighted, see example in first post, start at one one soldered connection and measure the length ending at the other soldered connection to the horn lead. Vcode sent these NOS examples pictured below . Addional comments on wheel prep or cleaning methods are not really what I am asking for at this time.  Thanks,  Brian

post-33155-0-35445300-1476628911.jpg

post-33155-0-61674800-1476628917.jpg