Sign in to follow this  
My Mach 1

5.5" BS Fitment Question

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has used a wheel on the back of their 69s with a 5.5" BS and mounted with MT 275x60R15 Drag radials? Did you run into any clearance problems or had to make any mods? I'm looking to use Weld Draglites on the back of my 69 Mach with 5.5" BS and that tire combo. I'm going to see a brand new set today for both front and rear. MT Sportsman SR 26x6 on 15 x 4" x 1 1/2" bs and MT275 x 60 R15 on 15 x 8 x 5.5"bs. Can you folks chime in plz...Thnx!

I'm running a 10 inch wheel off 2004 mustang. I am pretty sure it's a 5.5 back space. However I am running a 275x35 I think. The one thing I had to do is take a cut off saw and trI'm the rear axle bumper off. The metal frame protrudes into the wheel area. I trimmed 3/8s of inch off.

With your 10" rims and 5.5" back space did the tires stick out past the wheel well or not? We put the tires and rims on my Mach today and the 8" wheel with the 5.5" bs and 275 60 15 tire was just level with the outer edge of the wheel well. I would think that having another 2 inches of a wheel rim would stick out past the rear wheel well?

I used 6.5 BS with my 28x10.5 slicks had to cut the bumper off and trim the inner fender well... 1/2" clearance on the leaf springs and all tucked under the fender...I do have a 1/2" spacer on one side and a 1/4" spacer to keep the tires off the springs..

Remember that a rim that is advertised as an 8" or 9" or 10" wide is actually usually closer to 1" bigger when measured from outside lip to outside lip, then take into account that you need at least 3/8" clearance around the tire once its mounted..

Lower profile tires with stiff sidewalls "30-40 Series" can usually get away with a lil less tho as they wont flex like a 50 or higher side wall

Well I bought and installed the rims and tires to mock up the fitment. The fronts were fine. The rears hit in a couple of areas. For one thing they hit the leaf springs and I also had to lightly massage the inside area near the front of the rear wheelwells but not much. We used a 1/4" spacer on both sides and the wheels and tires lined up nicely. I couldn't drive the car because my rear wheel studs weren't long enough for those wheels - I previously had Muagnums on there. After all this I decided to sell these rims they're like Weld Draglites in black. They looked really bad on the car.After looking at all different types of wheels I've decided to go with Magnum 500s again 15x4x1 3/4" bs fronts and 15x8x5.25 rears.I just cant't decide on wether to go for the steel ones or the alloys. ..I'm leaning towards the steel chrome ones. They'll look great with my MT ETs and the Sportman SRs on the fronts! It's 4-6weeks special order from Wheel Vintique due to the 5.25 bs - I just can't wait. Will post pics when I'm done.