jgkurz

H4 Headlight Recommendation

Hi Folks, I am looking for an H4 headlight lens that will fit in the 1969 Mustang headlight buckets. The OEM style headlight model is H5001 (high beam) and H5006 (low beam). I don't need a kit or bulbs, just the headlight lens body. However, I would buy a kit if that was the only way to get the desired parts. I looked at the kit from CJPP but according to the reviews there seems to be some fit issues. https://goo.gl/UAQ04Y

Have any of you found an H4 lens that works well with the 69 headlight buckets?

Thank you,

John

Hi John I purchased a set of these from CJPP and they don't fit.  The problem I had was the lense housing would not fit deep enough into the bucket and would not allow the trim ring to seat all the way on. 

Dave

Hi John I purchased a set of these from CJPP and they don't fit.  The problem I had was the lense housing would not fit deep enough into the bucket and would not allow the trim ring to seat all the way on. 

Dave

Thanks for the follow-up Dave. If I purchased four new reproduction headlight buckets and opened up the center hole a bit would that resolve the issue?

Thanks for the follow-up Dave. If I purchased four new reproduction headlight buckets and opened up the center hole a bit would that resolve the issue?

actually John the problem I had with mine was the three tabs on the light housing would not fit deep enough into the three locating detents far enough . I also had new repo buckets and that was a whole other set of problems. the detents in the bucket were not clocked right so I had to make new ones, they weren't even close. So when I made new detents I made them deeper and longer.  If you have original buckets then they maybe  fine and you won't have these problems.

Dave 

I had to modify the rh headlight buckets for both low and high beam. From what I understand this is because the original sealed beam US spec lights are handed, whereas halogens are universal fit. Problem was the mounting tabs for the lens. My lenses were just no names from eBay.

DSCF3922_zps67635e61.jpg

For a couple reasons I decided to stick with the standard sealed beam headlights. 99% of all 5-3/4 H4 conversion lenses have a flat face that protrudes from the base about 1/4". I don't care for that look. I found one manufacturer (Autopal) that did make an 5-3/4 H4 lens that had a convex face. Unfortunately all manufacturers seem to sell their H4 conversion lens as compatible with both H5001 (single element/two prong/high-beam/inner) and H5006 (duel element/three prong/high&low-beam/outer) sealed beam headlights. This is incorrect. The index tabs are different between the two. The 5-3/4 H4 lenses I found were correct for the H5006 but not the H5001.

Does anyone know if the headlight bowls are interchangeable so I could use an H5006 style for both inner and outer headlights?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?product_model_type=Mustang&product_year_mustang=1969&q=Headlight+Bowl

I suggest you talk to Daniel Stern Lighting. Be patient, he will inundate you with lots to read, but its good stuff and gives you the background you need to make an informed decision.

The 69 has the smaller 5.75" lights, which are a problem. Basically it came down to this:

For the high beams use a good quality Cubie parabolic Hi high beams ($79 ea), with  Flosser/Narva Rangepower+50 bulbs ($15.59).

For the low beams you have some options depending on how well you want to see at night and how much you want to spend. Don't use H4s of any brand. In this size format they are all inefficient. Only 55% of the reflector is used to collect the light for the low beam. Use Hella BiFocal Hi Low beams ($139 ea) which are the most efficient best focused replaceable- bulb halogen headlights in this size format. Use Flosser/Narva Rangepower+50 Hi bulbs ($15.59).

This takes some rewiring, since you will not have the stock total of six filaments, but now only four. See the attached Word.doc for a diagram. Notice the low side of the kick switch has to be jumped.

Edit: I've attached an additional .pdf file in case you've had trouble seeing the drawing

HEADLIGHTS.doc

CCF11092016.pdf