Sign in to follow this  
stangme

Lightning Transmission

Greetings again all, been a few years since I was last on, sometimes we get wrapped up in life.

Anyway, I have the 69 fastback running well, 351W Dart bored/stroked to 427, fuel injection, 78 lincoln versaille rearend, disc brakes on all four, C6 tranny built to handle the horsepower, etc.

The other day a friend at work and I were talking mustangs, and I mentioned that I was thinking of adding overdrive to my C6 to give the car a little more leg so I could put the 3.70's back into the rearend. He mentioned that he had an automatic transmission from a lightning left when he bought an engine/tranny combo and only put the engine in his '98 mustang coupe.

Basically he is willing to give it to me free of charge, and I was wondering if anyone had put a newer computer controlled tranny in a much older car. I figure I should be able to buy a computer node for the tranny but figured I would toss it out there to see if any of you had done this or heard of anyone doing this.

Greetings again all, been a few years since I was last on, sometimes we get wrapped up in life.

Anyway, I have the 69 fastback running well, 351W Dart bored/stroked to 427, fuel injection, 78 lincoln versaille rearend, disc brakes on all four, C6 tranny built to handle the horsepower, etc.

Whoa whoa whoa! Gone a few years, car running great with all kinds of goodies, and no pics??? We, or I like to look at pictures :) Pleeease.

just make sure it is a 4R70W.  Some of the earlier lightning trucks I think around 93 94 had the E40D it is a huge tranny you don't want it.  The AODE will work also but doesn't have as good internals has the 4R

Dave

+1 with what's stated above. Even if the tranny doesn't pan out I'd recommend against adding an overdrive for your C6. The Gear vendors OD run like $2700 to $3300 bucks, for that kinda $ you can probably get a good or used 4r70w, have it gone thru and a controller. JMO.